The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

.
Within My Center & Periphery

Christmas was a pleasant day. We spent ample time with my wife's side of the family both on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and we will be traveling to farther distant relatives on my wife's side of the family later this afternoon on Wednesday. It has been nice.

My wife enjoyed all of her gifts from me, and this pleases me. I helped my elderly father-in-law show for my mother-in-law and also wrapped is gifts for her. She and he were both pleased.

As my mother-in-law prepared for us a traditional Christmas feast (including ham and other accouterments) on Christmas Eve, we prepared a more non-traditional feast for Christmas Day and invited everyone over. While our meal was not as "non-traditional" as I would have likely pursued if given my own palate to work with, because my wife's side of the family are not overly comfortable with spices and different sorts of food, we found a middle ground. The main protein dish consisted of marinated chicken breasts that were then baked in a fettuccine sauce with carrots and green beans. We served traditional mashed potatoes as well as a spicier sautéed rice dish. Traditional corn was served as well as a slightly more exotic spiced pea dish. An elaborate salad (lettuce, tomatoes, kidney beans, green peppers, cucumber, garbanzo beans, two kinds of olives, onions, parsley, celery... with croûtons, dressing and shaved Parmesan cheese), and another side dish of a spicy Southwestern macaroni & cheese were provided. All left full, even before the various Christmas cookies, desserts, and other traditional fare were brought out over coffee or liqueurs.

It was all very nice, and very festive and family oriented. I had a very nice day. I am feeling much better (probably around 70% up to snuff) from my horrid cold. The type of antibiotics I had been prescribed (Augmentin) proved EXCEPTIONALLY beneficial and needed. I was so utterly sick on Saturday and Sunday I was quite worried.

Of course, there was the missing aspect of this holiday as well. My beloved mother. I cannot bring her back, although I would love to. But I can say that I tried as much as I could to make the holiday one that she would be proud of me for accomplishing. I am hoping she can hear me and see me, and if so, the message I wish to send would be, "Mom, you mean the world to me. I miss you here, physically. But, I hope you can see me and see that I am still trying to live my life in a way that makes you proud of who I am and what I try to do. I love you, and will always cherish you."

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home