The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

.
51 Days

I had forgotten to mention here yesterday, that I had passed a big milestone for me. Yesterday was the 50th consecutive day of walking 5 miles (~8km). The accomplishment is multifold for me. First, the biggest aspect is the utter consistency I have shown in actually walking that distance EVERY DAY for 50 days. This may sound insignificant to others, but 50 days of consistency in exercise is remarkable for me. Second, I am feeling much better emotionally and I attribute much of this improvement to how I feel as a result of my walk. Third, I am acclimating myself to the cold, harsh winter in a way that I believe will allow me to embrace MORE fun outdoor winter activities. With the early morning walking, I have already walked at least 10 times in sub-freezing temperatures (roughly 29 degrees Fahrenheit (about -2 degrees Celsius). In the last several years, I have shunned much that is available in the winter because I did not want to "brave" the cold. Now I am again being comfortable in the out-of-doors in the Winter and it is a very good thing. Hopefully, if I keep up the walking every day, when we have a long bout of -20 degrees Fahrenheit (-29 degrees Celsius) weather in December and January, I will be fully acclimated and still be able to enjoy the out-of-doors.

So, overall, a good turn of events. I did complete day 51 today, and have great hopes of continuing walking on day 52, 53 and much beyond.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home