The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

.
Interesting Observations

As most anyone who has read my site for even only a few days will know, I am very fond of pipe smoking and pipe tobacco. It has been a hobby I have relished since I was a kid. A link to earlier discussions of my beginning the hobby can be found here. However, one thing I have noticed is that there is a very noticable range of times when I enjoy or desire smoking a bowl versus times where I have little to no interest. The obvious situational differences (such as having no interest while eating, or having strong interest at the end of the work day while I drive home).

But, what is interesting for me is to note the differences in terms of thinking styles that I feel the strongest association with my briar pipes. When I am working on repetitive, mundane style thinking tasks (such as data entry, or inputing grades for instance), I tend to have little interest in picking up a pipe. I tend to simply trudge through the task in as quick a manner as possible. Whereas, if I am planning a course, or working on research questions or formulating new research experiments, the desire to have the accompaniment of a pipe is far greater. It seems, the more creative the task, the more likely I am to wish to have my friendly pipes with me.

An interesting observation.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home