The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

.
A Helluva Lot Of Fun

Deer camp was a wonderful, relaxing experience. As I suggested, I did not hunt at all this year, but I did go out on a long walk each day which was very cold and yet also very beautiful.

The poker games were raucous and rampant all during my stay. I brought $30 in quarters with me and when I arrived home, I found my blue velvet Chvas Regal bag now had $87.75 inside. I guess I did pretty damn well for only playing poker once a year at deer camp.

For those of you who are not aware of the tradition, Chivas Regal is a brand of whiskey that often comes packaged in a blue velvet bag (to signify its high quality). It is our tradition at deer camp to use these bags (after we have consumed the whiskey, of course) as holders for our poker money. Most of us have several of these bags and most of use bring them every year to the poker games at deer camp.

Food was ample and excellent. Gallons of chili, mountains of bread, vats of boiled dinner, all manner of cakes and rolls and doughnuts. I also made a huge amount of my scrambled egg medley (it has sausage, peppers, onions and hashbrowns in it) and it was consumed faster than a cricket jumping off a hot griddle. We were happily stuffed to the gills the whole time.

Beverages were flowing amply as well. Whiskey, rum, tequila, gin, brandy, and schnapps as well as enough beer to fill Bavaria kept us all "well-lubricated" during our stay. And, of course, you all know alcohol is an important medical disinfectant. Therefore, we all thought it was important to "cleanse and disinfect our innards" just in case we might have gotten exposed to a cold bug. So, we did not take any chances and made sure to liberally use all the available alcohols to acquire greatest medicinal benefit.

An interesting new feature was seen when one fellow (smoking a cigar) had a new "smoke ring" trick that was very impressive which he demonstrated for us. I have been practicing said with my pipe ever since seeing it, but to no avail. I am particularly adept at such acrobatics.

My old steed, my trusty truck handled the journey north and back very well. She is a grand old beast, and simply driving her in the North Country itself is a form of vacation.

I have other stories that I shall attempt to regale you with in the next several days as well.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home