The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

.
Just the Facts

Time flies. I am in the midst of a helluva lot of house renovating projects at the moment. While time seems to move at lightning speed, my abilities at the projects approaches that of the tortoise from the adage. It may be that I take the idea of "measure twice, cut once" far too much to heart. I seem sometimes paralyzed into inactivity in my quest to do the job right the first time.

I am redecorating and remodeling one of the bedrooms in our home. Amongst the things I am doing are:

1. Removing all the old nails and screws from the walls and plastering each hole, and priming each hole.

2. Gutting the old closet hardware (traditional shelf with a pole) and replacing it with a highly stylized, modular system.

3. Painting every bloody inch (closet included).

4. Putting up a chair railing.

5. Painting the walls in a striped pattern.

6. Removing the old closet doors and replacing them with new, and newly painted doors.

7. Removing the trim from around the door and the closet and replacing it with a new, more attractive design.

8. Installing a medallion in the ceiling.

9. Installing a ceiling fan.

10. Installing a decorative shelf.

11. Reinstall the furniture.

12. Make new holes in the walls to hang new art work.

After this bedroom is complete, I have the same exact task to do in a second, then a third, and finally a fourth bedroom. Additionally, I am set to paint/redesign our living room and also the family room. This in addition to some significant out-door yard projects I should accomplish as well.

I wish I could be fast at these tasks like they are on the myriad of shows about home improvement such as the wonderful, but now defunct "Trading Spaces", "Design Star", "Top Design", etc.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home