The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

.
Hectic Hecticity

The span of the year from roughly April 5th - April 20th is arguably the most hectic and harried time of the year for me (followed closely by the entire month of October). The reasons for this "hecticity" are as follows:

1. My oldest daughter's birthday is within this span... and big festivities always ensue (birthdays of all my kids are BIG events in our family).

2. Virtually everything OTHER than final exams are turned in by the students for my classes during this time.

3. It is the time of year when yard work shifts dramatically and cleanup needs to begin to spruce up things to be presentable following the harshness of winter.

4. There are TWO research meetings/events that I need to attend during this time period.

5. My student researchers typically have their own panic about deadlines for a myriad of different projects during this time.

6. There are BEYOND NUMEROUS activities that require my attending at the U during this time period (poster sessions, awards banquets, various meetings).

7. The animal use committee and the human use committee inconveniently decides to meet at this time every year and they are exhausting as I am a member of each committee as well as a submitter of proposals to each committee.

8. A whole host of other things I cannot pinpoint at the moment (but may do so as they come to mind).

Today, I am in the midst of proctoring exams for 6 hours straight. I have two of my own, plus two that I am carrying out for a colleague who is away. All I can think about at the moment is an overwhelming desire to smoke my pipe. However, this is not a cry for nicotine (even though saturating my cells with the beloved nicotine would be enjoyable). It is more a desire for the tranquility, peace, centered feelings, and calmness that I associate with times when I am *able* to indulge in my pipes. If I was truly yearning for nicotine, I could scoot outside or into my lab for a few brief moments between each exam. However, I will not do so, for in effect it is not the nicotine I desire. Having only a few moments does not allow me to center myself as I typically can with my beloved briar in hand. That takes a longer time frame. So, it is a pointless and moot idea to try to sneak in a pipe or two in the momentary breaks between the six hours of exams.

Instead, I shall span these hours trying to write and do meaningful work, but likely at the same time, I will be daydreaming about the anticipated beauty of the hoped for leisurely drive home in my truck, National Public Radio emanating from my speakers, pipe in my paws or the stem of my pipe gently held between my teeth, the furry cascade of my mustache hairs gently laying over the stem as I slowly draw in puffs of the nourishing smoke. The logical, repetitive and rhythmic pattern that my right hand will follow as I work through each gear in my vehicle will reassure me of the possibility of calm, predictable times in life. The pipe will be a loving mistress on the journey as I strive to see my beautiful wife who will await for me at home. We can then have an hopefully relaxing dinner and quality evening.

It is a beautiful (day) dream that I eagerly hope will be reality this afternoon.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home