The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

.
The End Is Near

It is difficult to stay focused at the moment to write this, although it is what I have been wanting to do for the last few days. I have run this all through in my mind, in a variety of different permutations and patterns in an effort to find a different outcome. Yet, it was not until this very moment that I had the stamina or fortitude to actually put pen down to paper so to speak and say it...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I AM TOO DAMN BUSY!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I hope that my small attempt at a bit of wry humor (hopefully to be matched by rye-induced humor tomorrow) did not unsettle you. I am not "going" anywhere. The title, THE END IS NEAR is all about my finally being over the HUMP of being too damn busy for my own good!!!! Let us review what my last few days have been like:

1. After a work related trip out of town on Thursday, I arrived back on Saturday evening and proceeded to have an emotional breakdown over some exceptionally rude and obnoxious activities of a few people at the U. It made for a rough Saturday evening and Sunday.

2. In order to successfully complete one of the wretched meetings I had to prepare for this week, I found it necessary to spend the entirety of Sunday focused on writing a document (a protocol) for this meeting that angered/frustrated/aggrivated me to such an extent, that mixed with my already sour mood due to the obnoxious activities alluded to in #1, I was a basket case.

3. Because the essential writing for #2 was slow at best and in reality was typically difficult as hell to force myself to do, I needed to wake up early (2:30 am on Monday) so that I could walk before I went to work (I arrived at my desk at 4:15 am). I worked straight through from that point (including 3 hours of lecture) until I left at 6:15 pm and headed to a "banquet" meeting that I had to attend. I did not like the "banquet" for it was completely filled with "fancy" food I do not eat... the lion's share of it being DEEP FRIED SEAFOOD. And I had to pay in my share of the costs for the privlidge to partake of this meal to the tune of $56.00. I paid $56 for a damn cup of rice, some tea, and coffee. I arrived home at 10:20pm.

4. I got up early again (this time at 3:00am) and arrived at my desk at 5:30am. I worked through the day in a similar fashion of writing to prepare for a meeting and teaching. This meeting began at 5pm and proceeded for an hour. Fortunately, it seemed to go better than anticipated. But then I had to go to my evening class at 6pm and it ended at 10pm so I arrived home on Tuesday at 10:40pm

5. The next morning I allowed myself to "sleep in" until 4:30am and ended up getting to work at 7:00am. Now, because of all the writing I had to do for the meetings on Monday and Tuesday, I was so damn behind in preperations for teaching (getting exams together, grading, etc) that I spent all of yesterday working on that sorts of writing (in addition to teaching). Added to this mix, however was some *good* although severely time impinging news as well... a new batch of my research animals suddenly became available and required me and several of my research students to spend a few hours sorting, measuring, and manipulating these animals. I *was* able to leave the U at a more reasonable 6:30pm, but then arrived home to find my beautiful wife in an emotional crisis of her own which ended up creating emotional chaos until roughly 10:30pm at which point I watched a bit of television and went to bed.

6. Today, I had to struggle to get out of bed (5:00am), but did not walk, and went straight to work because I was so behind (I had an exam to give my upper division class in mid-morning but had not even written it yet.) in so many ways that I needed to get right into the office. But now, the class, the exam, and all the hassle has dissipated! I am so damn happy I could crow like a rooster!

I am going to begin to enjoy myself again! I feel a love for joy and happiness and a love for life at the moment I wish would never leafe! I love the joy of having the mental hell of the earlier part of this week DONE and abaited!

I am planning to go visit my elderly father-in-law tomoroow if he is available, and we will sit back and enjoy some adult beverages, many pipes and while away the afternoon enjoying life.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home