The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

.
Memorial Day & Life



I took part in my normal ritual of bringing flowers to the grave sites of the relatives I love and miss. And, as has been my habit as well, I took flowers to the graves of those family I may not have known, but that my beloved mother knew and took flowers to prior to her passing. The task left me feeling melancholy, but ok. I talked to each person for 5-10 minutes when I brought the pot of flowers to their grave.

For the people I knew and loved (my mother and father, two uncles, an aunt and a niece) I spoke to them directly. For those people whom my mother also routinely left flowers for, I spoke to them about mom and how I wanted to continue to show her love for them by my actions. These people included my grandparents, an uncle I never met, and a young child of my aunt's who had died at less than a year's age. I expressed to them my happiness at being related to them, and thanked my grandparents for the joys of my mother and my uncles and aunts I knew.

* * * * *

We had a wedding to attend on Saturday during this past holiday weekend. It was for relatives from my wife's side of the family and she did not know them particularly well. The food was decent, and I danced a bit with my wife. I drank gin and tonics, which were very good and refreshing. I need to remember how much I enjoy gin.

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, 01 June, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home