The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

.
Flash Fiction Effort

Happily, Flash Fiction has returned this week. Here is my entry based on the starter sentence we were given, "So much for plan B":



"Plan B...itter"



"So much for plan B." I muttered under my breath.

I grabbed my old, beat-up pipe that I kept in the workbench drawer. It was badly battered, and even the bowl had a hairline crack along one side, so it was now relegated for use only in the garage. I stuffed its bowl angrily with tobacco. Firing it up quickly, I smoked, chewed on the stem, and grumbled..

"So, what the hell will plan C be?" My furry eyebrows knitted together, belaying my frustration.

What I felt like doing was taking a hammer to the metal object of my rancor and smashing it into as many pieces as possible. But, of course, that wouldn’t do a damn bit of good, and only give me MORE work to do in the end.

"Why the hell do they change things like this and then say it will fit is beyond me." I think to myself.

I look down at the mower with grave disdain, then look back at the new, shiny metal box, about the size of a bar of soap on the bench.

My wife comes out to the garage. In her hand is a tall glass of iced tea. She smiles at me.

"Drink this, dear, you need to keep drinking enough fluids."

I complain loudly about the stupidity of the design of the replacement muffler, and in an animated fashion, holler about the idiotic instructions. With rising impatience, I loudly read from the instructions:

"If your mower was manufactured before 1985, it will have only TWO screw posts to attach the muffler. You will need to remove the third screw post manually or it will not fit against the flange correctly."

I point out to my wife the asinine additional post, a stalk of cast iron about 1 inch in length. Then I show her how I already mangled the post, trying to cut it with my hacksaw blade. The raggedness of the cut, and its haphazard, meandering slant make it look like I was drunk as a skunk when I tried to cut it. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I was sober, and aggravated as hell.

"Now listen to this..." I continue, "You must leave at minimum 3/16th of an inch of the post but no more than 1/4th of an inch of the post to allow for plugging the hole with the enclosed thumb screw. Failure to attach the thumb screw to the muffler to block this hole will result in significant loss in performance of the muffler."

I take a deep pull from the stem of my pipe.

As I exhale, I exclaim, "Why the hell do they say this is the replacement muffler for my mower, when the son-of-a-b*tch does not fit!"

"It *is* an old mower, dear. Maybe we should buy..." my wife begins, attempting to placate me.

I glower at her. "What the hell does age have to do with it? If it is a damn f*ck*ng replacement part, it sure as f*ck*ng damn hell should fit without me having to figure out how to remake it here!"

Angrily, I look around at the various tools parts, and instruction sheets splayed across my workbench.

"Look at this hammer, its 50 years old, for Chr*st’s sake!!! It was my dad’s and I remember going to the hardware store with him to get it." I sputter, my rage gaining momentum now.

"Sh*t, look at this radio, its got to be at least 40 years old. Hell, even my pipe," I exclaim as I take it out of my mouth and show her for emphasis, "I bought this old beast over 30 years ago!"

"Now, dear..."

"No! Its asinine, and there’s no way you can tell me any different!" I knock ashes from my pipe into the ashtray on my workbench angrily. "They do sh*t like this so people give up on fixing things! They do it so people won’t try to do their own repairs! They do this bullsh*t only to line their own damn pockets!"

My wife gives up trying to calm me and walks back into the house.

I sit there alone, and fume. Mad at the world, mad at the asinine little metal box before me, and mad at my feeling of incompetence.

"I am NOT going to take you in and have some punk kid charge me $55 bucks to "install" the damn muffler, and I am sure as hell not going to buy a new mower!"

I reach again for the pipe, fill its bowl, and think, and think.

* * * * *

Any and all comments are appreciated,

PipeTobacco

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the raucous bitchfests poor beleaguered customer service reps have to listen to on the job. Why would a general reader, seeking entertainment and enlightment, want to read such pointless and annoying tripe? Why should any one want to read this self-indulgent, sloppily dashed-off gripe-athon? Where's the comedy? the drama? the suspense?the moral? the twist ending, perhaps?? You, unkind sir, may like the conceit of being "an author" but you do not respect the vast treasures the English language has to offer! You also waste your readers time!

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger BBC said...

But, it's more fun to mow without a muffler, especially if one of the neighbors is napping. :-)

As for old pipes, old pipes and old clothes are like old friends to me, we like to stick together.

Anyway, had a good camping trip, did the first post about it this morning.

MY CAMPING BLOG

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Anonymous:

Thank you for your opinion. I never claimed to be an author, just an author-wannabe. As I unfortunately do not have a huge amount of time at the moment, I had to write my story in a short time frame (aka 15 minutes or so last evening). I realize it is not overly dramatic, nor does it have the "zinger" sort of ending that typifies good comedic or other fiction.

Very simply, my writing was my effort to a) participate in the flash fiction effort, b) a brief attempt to practice writing, which is something I would very much like to do more of, and c) to practice trying to write believable sounding dialogue, something I find challenging.

Billy:

I will be sure to get over to your camping blog later today!

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger Lewis Peters said...

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Mark Twain

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger Lewis Peters said...

Having just read Anonymous's comments I'd just like to add, "Illegitimi non carburundum."

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger SueH said...

I think anonymous needs to get a life ( and be really brave and leave his/her name next time!)


I thought this was an absolute hoot! I was chuckling at the images it conjoured up - I could totally picture the frustration winding the man up as his (long-suffering?) wife tried to placate his with iced tea!

Loved it, Sir Pipe!

(I'm still sniggering - shall have to go back and read through again! ;-) )

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger BBC said...

Anonymous: Besame Culo.

That's Spanish for kiss my ass. :-)

Tuesday, 08 June, 2010  
Blogger WellesFan said...

Put me in the mind of the recent book "Shop Class as Soulcraft" (based on this essay http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/shop-class-as-soulcraft). I enjoyed your story.

Wednesday, 09 June, 2010  
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

This was a nice slice of life. I thought the dialog really rang true, Professor.

Good work!

Wednesday, 09 June, 2010  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm wondering if you got a few recent emails I sent you being as you haven't replied.

In case you didn't get them I put up the second Heart O the Hills camping post on my camping blog.

Thursday, 10 June, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of the need to ask for directions while reading this post! Well told with dramatic affect. This was great Professor.

Friday, 11 June, 2010  
Blogger David Barber said...

Sorry for my lateness in commenting.

Pipe, I really enjoy your "slice-of-life" stories and this didn't disappoint. Well done and "UP YOURS!" to the arsehole who left the first comment and didn't have the balls to leave their name!

Well done Pipe.

Sunday, 13 June, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home