The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 08, 2010

.
Day 655



I have walked every day for 655 days now! It has been a very worthwhile activity for me in many ways. I am now 103 pounds (46.7 kilograms) lighter than I was at my heaviest (I now weigh 179 pounds (81.2 kilograms)). I have a normal BMI of 23.0. I have gone from wearing 44 inch waist pants (112 cm waist), my shirt collar size has gone from 18.5 inches (47 cm) down to 16 inches (40.5 cm) and my shirt size has gone from a 2XL down to a Medium. And, the best part of all is that I feel good!

I have also been lifting weights for upper body strength and bicycling (although not every day... I need to work on that). I need to figure out how to develop some sort of more consistent routine for that. The picture above shows hand grip strength exercise devices that I do use every day during the entirety of my walk. I have gone through four pair of these things because I have worn them out through squeezing and the tension coil eventually breaks.

And yes, some may wonder... I did walk EVERY day while out west too. I have walked when I am sick, I have walked when it has been nearly arctic, I have walked during rain, during blizzards... every day OUTSIDE.

Please do not think I am trying to be a braggart... for I am not. I am just stating what I have done and what has happened because I am happy about it and proud of my consistency in doing it every day. I have never been able to garner up enough stick-to-it-iveness ever in my life to consistently exercise. It has been a major breakthrough for me.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger muddleglum said...

"...the best part about it..."

Thanks for making me happy, too!

I figure you also think more clearly, which reminds me, time for my hourly minute of exercise.

Thursday, 08 July, 2010  
Blogger BBC said...

You're intent on walking yourself to death?

Not that I have anything against walking, I walked to the store today for ice cream, and then enjoyed a nice serving of it upon my return.

I was hoping to see more posts about your trip west.

Thursday, 08 July, 2010  
Blogger austere said...

You're an inspiration.

Friday, 09 July, 2010  
Blogger Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I've been doing daily exercises too, partly inspired by what I've read here. 39 days for me so far. I suppose I should get some baseline metrics, eh?

Congratulations to you!

Friday, 09 July, 2010  
Blogger amelia said...

You are truly an inspiration!! I'm sure the more you do, the less you want to miss a day. Have you had any bad effects such as painful feet or knees?

Saturday, 10 July, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home