The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

.
Damn TMJ




I have had temporomadibular joint (TMJ) disorder for a helluva long time... decades. Typically I notice no effects because I am religious about wearing a bite splint. The worst of the symptoms if I wear my bite splint is typically just having a tired jaw at the end of the day. But, for the last week or so, my TMJ has been a thorn in my side. My jaws ache, and it affects my ears and neck as well. It hurts so badly right now that I can hardly stand it.

I do not know why my TMJ is acting up so much. I am not more stressed than usual. My only inkling is that perhaps I have a middle or inner ear infection that is quite severe. My reasoning behind this is that both my wife and I came down with identical colds upon our return from the Grand Canyon in July. Both of us took a while to feel better, but now about 2 weeks ago, my wife came down with severe ear infections and has been on two courses of antibiotics. I am wondering if I am experiencing the same thing... and also if it may be a result of something we were exposed to on our trip?

I am not sure, but perhaps I should go to my doctor to have my ears examined. I strenuously resist going to the doctor, but am thinking I may do so in the morning if this does not subside.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I have had temporomadibular joint (TMJ) disorder for a helluva long time... decades.

Never heard of it. But you are on to something when you mention stress, even if you don't think it is effecting you it often is.

I strenuously resist going to the doctor, but am thinking I may do so in the morning if this does not subside.

Oh come on, go to a doctor, they 'practice' medicine. Hahahaha

Wednesday, 25 August, 2010  
Blogger austere said...

Ouch. tc.

Thursday, 26 August, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home