The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, December 05, 2011

.
Pleasant Weekend



I had a very pleasant weekend! It is so very nice thinking that I am perhaps already seeing some of the improvements in my life with my "End the B*llsh*t!" campaign. On Friday, I indulged in some libations and was feeling a little bit raucous during the evening. We played games and watched television and I read the conclusion of the novel I had been working through (Cook's "Mutation").

That night, I slept soundly, but awoke at 3:45am and felt wide awake. So instead of waiting until 5:00am (my usual walking time), I dressed and headed out the door to walk at 4:00am. It was actually very nice walking at that time of morning. I did not see a single automobile nor another soul. It was quiet and peaceful and I prayed the rosary and composed my thoughts.

We went to a museum on Saturday and helped out at a cookie sale (fundraiser) during the morning. In the afternoon we made a new red lentil soup that could simmer until dinner, and then went to Mass. Saturday evening was spent just relaxing.

On Sunday, we ate a light breakfast and immediately dug into decorating for the Holidays. There was enough of a temperature rise this weekend that I was able to even get outside to string lights on the house (I was fearful that I had lost the opportunity to put up lights.... with all the snow we have been having, the gutters were filled solid. However, the weekend had a brief upswing in temperatures into the mid-30s... just enough to clear out the gutters so I could hang the lights on the house.)

We took a break around 1pm and the whole family went to the local Eastern Indian restaurant to eat an early dinner (This resturant has a buffet from noon-three, which we enjoy because we get to have greater variety than ordering from the menu at other times of the day.). The different curries, and the various dishes were amazing and delicious as always and we ate our fill and probably some beyond that. There was a wonderfully beautiful and tasty addition to the dessert area as well. It was a sweetened rice dish in a carrot/pumpkin puree and it had some saffron in it as well as some other spices. It was good. My wife and kids were very partial to the other desert item (small cakes in glazed honey), and I ate some of that as well, but the sweetened rice dish really struck me as the best.

Upon returning home, we continued to decorate until we were seeing green and red swim before our eyes.... and gave up for the evening. We then sat down and watched television for about an hour before heading to bed, where I started a new novel.

While the above may seem rather mundane and "ho-hum" to many folks.... to me, this sort of weekend was a true gift. It is a gift I am hoping is a result of the very hard work I am putting in to the "End the B*llsh*t!" effort, and it is something that I hope becomes much, much more the norm than the exception as I keep working to bring my life back into the focus I want for it and my family.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Good luck with your venture I wish you lots of success.. stay well my friend.. :)

Wednesday, 07 December, 2011  
Blogger austere said...

Sounds like a great day.
Here's to more!


ps I have no idea what those desserts were. :)

Thursday, 08 December, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

I had an okay weekend, and then went on a nice camping trip. This morning I cooked up a bunch of rice.

I don't do christmas, fuck christmas.

Friday, 09 December, 2011  
Blogger (M)ary said...

oh, i understand...i like a peaceful, pleasant weekend over drama and B.S. any day!

Saturday, 10 December, 2011  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Practice things like getting that tricky triplet sounding fluent and making sure you hit the F sharp with your fourth finger rather than the fifth. Is Boot Camp for Clumsy Piano Fingers Scam or perhaps a legitimate product? Find all of the answers on my review site now! Another point worth thinking about is just because you think that you have done a bad job, doesn't mean that the examiner knows you've done a bad job.

Sunday, 02 December, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home