The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Pindi Chole






Today's post is only very minimally about my physical (A-) and emotional (B-) health.  In fact, that is all there is to report. I wanted to write instead a bit about one of my favorite ethnic dishes, Pindi Chole.

I truly love Eastern Indian food.  My first exposure to it was in graduate school, long ago, when the Hare Krishna House in the college town where I was working on my Ph.D. would open up one day a week for the public to eat dinner and sample their wares.  To me, it was always and exciting and invigorating adventure.  Krishna's, being vegetarian, made dishes that were EASY for me to try without any worries or qualms, I would literally try any food they had no matter how unrecognizable it was.  Even though I did and do still eat meat on occasion, I have always been a bit nervous about eating meat dishes I did not know because I always had qualms or worries about the cooking methods.  Therefore, the Krishna kitchen was rather a luxury for me, for I could eat without any concern or worry.

Pindi Chole, when done well, is a highly spicy (yes!!!) dish of curried garbanzo beans sauteed and simmered for long period of time.  It is truly wonderful and when I am able to have it, I always feel very contented and joyful.

I may go, this afternoon, to visit my elderly father-in-law.  I hope it will be enjoyable and fun.

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I'd try any India dish with meat in it, it may be dog.

Today I'll finish off the big batch of spaghetti, I'm tired of spaghetti.

Enjoy the time away.

Friday, 11 May, 2012  
Blogger austere said...

Chole is from Punjab,food from the rustic farmlands-- but now eaten nationwide.

I've always found this heavy, so I add curds and limit intake to one small serving. With bread or roti instead of bhatura which just oozes oil.

Friday, 11 May, 2012  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Austere:

I like roti a great deal and also nhan (spelling?).

PipeTobacco

Friday, 11 May, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home