The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, December 03, 2012

Weekend Roundup



Well, there was good and bad to this weekend:

1.  Friday was wonderful, and I *mostly* stuck to my goal on Friday of having 2 pipes (I actually had 3, but I am thinking that three bowls may be a more realistic indulgence on those occasions when I do indulge). 

2.  Saturday was not so good.  My intention was to have zero pipes that day, and I failed at it.  But I think I learned something that will help me the next time I have a zero day following a day where I smoke my pipe.  What happened is that I was out walking the dog, and I reached into my jacket pocket and lo-and-behold, there was my pipe, pouch, and lighter.   I had left them in my pocket after returning from my elderly father-in-law's the evening before.  It was very densely foggy while out walking the dog, and it seemed like a wonderful, perfect time to indulge as I have done so for most of my life.  Basically, I filled and ignited my pipe without much if any forethought, planning or even giving much thought to my goals.  I was regretful within a minute or so, and aggravated at myself.  Then, later that day, already feeling aggravated at myself, I smoked two additional times.  Finally, in the evening, I sat myself down, and thought through how stupid my actions were.  I did not need to fail.  I can do this if I put my stubborn mind to it.  I vowed to get back on my goal oriented "track" immediately.

3.  Sunday was a good day.  I stayed at my goal of zero.  I took the wife and family out to eat at a wonderful Indian Buffet for dinner, and we had a great time.  There was a Mushroom Marsala that was especially good this time in addition to many of my usual favorites.

What did I learn?  Well, one, I think I need to be more vigilant on the day after an allowed indulgence in my pipes (again, my goal is to be infrequent, perhaps indulging 2 or perhaps 3 times a month).  I will think about what my plan for vigilance will be.  I still think I am a stubborn enough mule to get this to happen.  And, if I do, I think I will be glad.

PipeTobacco

Today's (Monday's) Goal =0

Yesterday's (Sunday's) Goal = 0 bowls
Actual consumption (Sunday) = 0 bowls

Saturday's Goal = 0 bowls
Actual consumption (Saturday) = 3 bowls


 

2 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I've slipped some myself, and I'm out of patches. Oh well, shit happens, I've stopped carrying the makings when I go somewhere.

Monday, 03 December, 2012  
Anonymous TurnToYourInnerSmile said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, 28 January, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home