The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Nice, But Probably Not Good

At the meeting last night, after the sessions were done, the conference provided us with refreshments of all sorts including some very nice IPA beers that were enjoyable to sample.  As is fairly common still even in 2017, at a meeting of this sort, I found a small cadre of four other pipe smoking fellows to talk science with late into the evening.  It felt very nice to be amongst other pipe smokers as in normal day-to-day life back at the U we are not so common and are strewn across wide expanses of campus.  It felt "homey" and good.  So, the ample beer and pipes were much appreciated, although I felt a bit meloncholy about the evening as it is not where I want nor should be with my pipe.  I know I should refrain.  I know it is something I should give up.  

The talks were inspiring, and I gleaned a few ideas for my own research, which may help me continent to strive to discover new knowledge in my work.  This morning I ran from the hotel into St Paul and back.  The morning weather was perfect for running.  It was 63 degrees and lightly clouded at the start of my 6:15 am run.  Tonight is my talk.  Hopefully I will go smoothly, and then I will likely indulge again in beers and pipes.  

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Oh, heck. Go ahead and enjoy it. How nice to have a group of people you can relate to and just enjoy the evening.
I hope your talk goes well.

Friday, 14 July, 2017  
Blogger Forsythia said...

What Sharon said.

Saturday, 15 July, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home