The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, September 25, 2017

The E


The e-device seemed to work ok for the first day, but then it developed an odd flavor to it, so I stopped using it.  I am going to take it to the store today and see what they say.

It has truly been Indian Summer here in my region.  I have been able to run for a whole week without a shirt on at 5am in the morning, because it has been at least 68 degrees every morning, sometimes warmer.  I am still surprised at how I am keeping up with running AND how many days I really enjoy it (not every day, but many).

I was thinking about this the other day, and I realize that gradually over the last several years, I really have lost most interest I once had in a) news, b) politics, and c) history.   And, I have theories as to why:

Sure, I will listen to the news on NPR, and will occasionally watch CNN or MSNBC if there is some sort of "big" news event happening.  And, again, sure, I know the basic things going on in politics.  BUT, the thing that changed is that I USED to think about the news and politics more, used to be passionate about the news and politics and liked talking with people about these topics, and I used to enjoy thinking about them quite a lot every day.  Now.... meh.  I listen and absorb the news and the politics, but then basically I go about my life and ignore it because I do not really think it makes one bit of difference for me to focus on it, and I do not really like to discuss news or politics with folks because so many of them are not really interested in DISCUSSION, but a helluva lot of people have begun to act more and more like the pundits who basically rant and rave about most things. Or, worse, they act like some folks do who are on-line, and write simply to inflame disharmony.  In my opinion, my life and my time is far more valuable to me personally than to interact with folks who are "fire and brimstone" in their actions.

As far as history goes, the reasons for my decline are a bit different.  I used to be voracious in reading and watching and thinking about historical accounts.  Over the years, I have had strong fascinations with a bunch of different folks.... Hemingway, Steinbeck, Darwin, Roosevelts (first Theodore and then Franklin),  Ghandi, Melville, and far, far many others and also about specific other historical events (Civil War, the Old West, to name two) or time periods than I would want to try to list.  But, and this may seem odd, but the waning I believe began after my mother passed away (now almost 11 years ago).  I did not really notice the waning in interest in history until 5-6 years ago, but I believe it may have originated from closer to when my mother passed away.   The best I can figure out is that the loss of both of my parents (my mother was last, my father had passed away, now almost 24 years ago).... the loss of both of my parents created some sort of disconnect in me about any real interest in the past.  I am not sure how to explain it other than that.  It is almost a feeling of disinterest.... a feeling of why bother thinking about what has gone on before?  I know that the adage "those who do not remember history are bound to repeat it" is true, but I guess for me as an individual, I feel now it bears no effect on me individually whether or not I think about or pay attention to historical facts or ideas.  I know there have been at least 4 new Hemmingway biographical analyses that have been published in the last five years, and I haven't nary a single one of those even though prior to that, I had amassed and read nearly every book on him I could find (This is one example, I did similarly for most of the historical interests I had.).

I do not know if I am better or worse.... or happier or sadder.... or what given this distinct change in interest in news, politics, or history.  I am not really sure.  I just DO know it is gone.... at least very much gone in the passionate way I previously had those interests.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I am quickly losing interest an quite a few things. I blame the television and the web. There is just too much out there, it's like sitting in the bathroom with 12 programs going on at once. Just so much noise.

Monday, 25 September, 2017  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

How strange that the loss of your parents possibly created this loss of interest in history. Possibly good because it's frustrating when you think, 'I wish I'd asked Uncle (in my case) about that before he died.'

As for news, it is too depressing and I feel helpless to do anything so tend to avoid it I'm afraid. I think as I get older it's just more same old, same old stories. they were around then and are around now with very little change. Oh now I've really depressed myself!

Thursday, 28 September, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home