The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Popular Music

While I AM a big fan of music (I even play a few musical instruments), and I listen to a wide array of music, I have not really talked much about my favorites in terms of what is generally called "popular music".

Most of the time, I tend to have classical music or jazz music playing in the background in my office and in my laboratory.  In terms of classical music, I tend to prefer the horn based music more than string or piano.  Similarly, for jazz, I prefer the horn based jazz to that of string or piano.... and I have a strong preference for the more melodic forms of jazz as opposed to the "free-form" styles.

But, in terms of what is typically deemed "popular music" I think I can safely say that to me, ONE particular band stands out clear and away as my favorite more than ANY OTHER GROUP.  Please know, however, what I do like much of popular music and could name at least a dozen to twenty groups that I appreciated.

But..... if I were to exiled to a desert island for the rest of my life with only ONE "popular music" group that I could listen to, it would have to be......

CHICAGO (originally known as "The Chicago Transit Authority").

Words cannot adequately express how the majority of their music will invigorate my mindset and help me be in a better mood.  Instead, I will give you links to a few of my very favorites from them:

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

"25 or 6 to 4"

"Make Me Smile"

"Colour My World"

"Saturday in the Park"

But, there are so many, many more incredible songs from this group, so do not just limit yourself to the few above.

PipeTobacco 

2 Comments:

Blogger E. Rosewater said...

chet baker - over the rainbow.

Friday, 19 January, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

I like old country shit kicking music.

Monday, 22 January, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home