The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Hanging Pictures - Conundrum



I have always been rather gunshy about hanging pictures, photographs, paintings, etc. in and around my home and office.  It is not because I dislike having the art work around, and in fact I have a lot of it.   My difficulty is that I have this strong trepidation I have to overcome when I need to make a hole in a wall to put in a nail or screw to hold the image.  For some reason, I feel anxious when I mar a clean, pristine wall with a hole.... probably because I worry I will  "mess it up" and make things worse. 

But, I am forcing myself to put up a lot more of the pictures and photos, and paintings that my wife and I have recently acquired that I have been putting off.  I want to do this for her and for myself.  But, it is surprising to me how much mental energy it takes me to put those holes in the wall. 

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger David P. said...

Have you tried those 3M picture hangers that stick to the wall and are removable? "Command" Brand I believe. I've used them for a few things, and as long as the surfaces are clean they hold pretty well.

Tuesday, 16 July, 2019  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Been there, fretted about that.

Tuesday, 16 July, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

SD- For light things I have used them and like them.... but I get nervous for pictures especially 8x10 or larger with glass. Theoretically they SHOULD hold but the weight makes me nervous.

Tuesday, 16 July, 2019  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

I am no fan of the stick to wall hanging systems. I understand they are more reliable now, but for me, a hole in the wall with an appropriate anchor is the way to go. Losing sleep over stupid stuff like hanging pictures sucks. Been there, done that.

Tuesday, 16 July, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...


I have large pictures framed under glass. I agree with Marcrum - for smaller pictures the
the brass hangers using small slanted nails should be OK.
the Ol'Buzzard

Tuesday, 16 July, 2019  
Blogger BBC said...

If you use it right Shoe Goo will hold even heavy items but can be removed...

Thursday, 18 July, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home