The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Philosophy of Life

Sometimes folks wonder about my faith and my being Roman Catholic.  While I can understand people questioning me sometimes about it, I do not feel it is incongruent with my role as a scientist.  Faith is wholly outside the parlance of science and for me, there is no conflict.

But, regardless of a person's own individual beliefs.... I also see TWO distinct ways in which I do view what I learn from my Roman Catholic faith:

1)  I do learn and understand and believe the tenets of my faith.  For me, these tend to be more individual and personal within my family (which includes my parish family.... which extends worldwide).  But, I am also understanding that many other faiths (or non-faiths) are held by others.  It is all "ok" with me.

but, I think perhaps the more valuable aspect of my faith in regards to my day-to-day life in the world revolves around

2) The PHILOSOPHY of how to live life and how to be with others and how to treat others.   This philosophy is in many ways not about my faith per se.... but instead is how my faith EXPECTS and TEACHES me to be and how I need to strive to be a better, kinder, gentler, more humane, more caring, more giving person.  It helps me to recognize that I need to look beyond myself and my wants and my needs.  I need to be a servant.  I need to be helpful to others, even when it is hard to do so. 

This aspect of my faith.... the philosophy...  bubbles to the surface of my awareness in a variety of different ways.  But, one common way is through the music at Mass.  I tend to be especially attuned to sound, and I tend to be able to really focus well when I use the learning modality of listening.  For instance, there was a song at Mass this past weekend that truthfully reminded me so strongly of how I need to keep my focus outward, towards what I can do.  I have excerpted some of the lyrics below:

Make Me A Channel of Your Peace
(written by Sebastian Temple, 1967)

[shown below, verse 2)
Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is despair in life, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness only light.
And where there's saddness ever joy. 

O Master, grant that I may never seek
so much to be consoled, as to console.
To be understood, as to understand.
To be loved, as to love with all my soul.  

Link to the song on YouTube 

It so reminds me that I am NOT meant to be the center, the focus..... I am not here to be consoled, or understood, or loved..... no matter how much those are the things I *do* crave and do want.  It is *supposed* to be me who is trying to help others (to console), to try to give understanding to others, and to love others.

It is SO very hard to not only see that as the important focus.... but it is so very harder to try to keep that focus day-in and day-out.  Hearing the above lyrics in that song at Mass had me become aware again of that important message for me.... and it caused me to have tears streaming down my cheeks because I know and understand how weak, how horribly inconsistent I am in doing this.  I fail so very, very often to do what is truly important.... to help... to love..... and when I realize how poor I am at that.... it devastates me.

But, it also clarifies for me how I need to work harder, try to be better, and keep trying to do those things.

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I was a very committed Christian for the first half of my life. I had an awakening moment. I will leave it there. :)

Wednesday, 28 August, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

AC:

I know what you mean and I have many friends who say similar things.

But, I think the PHILOSOPHY transcends beyond the faith constructs. Even without faith.... I firmly believe that ideas of being outside of self interest, loving others, being helpful, being a servant..... is still the way I would wish my focus to be. Religion is not in any way necessary for those sorts of goals.... my faith just happened to be the way I was able to initially perceive those goals even though those same ideas are seen in an array of different permutations in human society.

Wednesday, 28 August, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Don't matter what one faith is I think we all teater a bit. I know I do
Coffee is on

Wednesday, 28 August, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I find being a pagan fits me better than being a lapsed catholic

Wednesday, 28 August, 2019  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

Dudeism is where i found my place in the world.

spark buds and abide. works for me.

Thursday, 29 August, 2019  
Blogger Sewa Undername Import Lengkap Dan Murah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, 31 August, 2019  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I was raised Roman Catholic and attended parochial schools through high school. years ago, we attended a Methodist Church when we lived in VA, but there was no message there for me as it seems the minister was more concerned about his image. In a way, I subscribe to the thought of once a Catholic, always a Catholic and even though I no longer attend regular services, I have gone on occasions and will receive the sacraments in all good conscience. In my lifetime, I have known regular churchgoers who were less Christian than some who never went into a church of any kind. So it's more about the person in my opinion.

Wednesday, 04 September, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home