The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, January 01, 2020

2020

With a new year, and with a new decade.... one that actually "speaks" of clarity of vision (pun).... I thought I would focus today on how I plan and want to be, and where I have been:

1.  On December 21st, I came down with a very strong nasal/pharyngeal infection.  It took me a bit by surprise as I do not know whom I may have come into contact with in regards to this infection.   I am usually quite careful especially in the winter to practice good "cold avoidance" practices and did not know of any family member, student, or co-worker who was ill with similar symptoms.  But, regardless, for the first time in probably around three years, I came down with a significant infection.   I had a high fever (over 101 F (38+C)) for a full week, and NSAIDs (aspirin, in my case) did little to alleviate the fever.  After the first 8 days, I eventually went to a clinician and was prescribed an antibiotic for this.  The antibiotic helped enormously and I am feeling much better now, although I am still shedding a lot of mucous. 

2.  I did keep up my running and even though during the week and a half of sickness I had slower times, I still hit my goals of running between 30-35 miles (50-56 km) in a week.  I also did complete the year having had at LEAST one run each week that was a minimum of 6.2 miles (10 Km).  Looking back on my log, I actually had a total of 72 runs that were at least 6.2 miles (10 Km).  So, I am going to be able to make myself the t-shirt as my trophy!!!!!!  I also had hit my goal of 30-35 miles of running every week in 2019. 

3.  Today marks 4,129 days that I have walked or ran at least 5 miles each and every day... regardless of weather, illness, holiday, etc. 

* * * * *

In regards to the new year, I have goals and plans I plan to adopt:

1.  I plan to keep up my 30-35 mile running goal.

2.  I plan to keep up running at least one 6.2 mile run each week.

3.  I plan to add having at least one half marathon run (13.1 miles (21 Km)) run each month in preparation for running a real half marathon event (so I can get a t-shirt and a sticker) sometime in the Summer. 

4.  I plan to blog here in 2020.... every day.  Granted, some days the post will perhaps be short... but I feel there is value for me in posting regularly because a) it helps me get my personal thoughts OUT of my head so they do not continually ruminate there, b) I really value the friendship I have with you other blog readers and writers, and c) I really value the insights you provide for me, especially with feelings I have that are difficult. 

5.  I also plan to be a better blogging friend by not only reading.... but COMMENTING more often on your blogs and responding to your comments on my blog. 

6.  I am making a more concerted effort to practice music every day.  I have a few approaches I am taking and will inevitably be writing about them as they develop more. 

7.  As the Tiny Buddha image above suggests, I am going to work on my emotions by working to let go of a lot of the hurt feelings I have in regards to work and to move on from them into a better frame of mind. 

As my wife and I talked nearing the midnight hour last evening, we both have a sense of hope and joy for this new year.  We both know there is individual work for each of us to do, but we both are so fortunate to have each other on this journey and we both are striving to be more who we want to become and our support and love will be a big factor in helping each of us to make 2020 as joyful as possible.

PipeTobacco 

4 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

What a lovely plan for 2020! I look forward to reading regularly.

Wednesday, 01 January, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Happy New Year to a man with very ambitious plans.

Wednesday, 01 January, 2020  
Blogger Expertsqssignmentsolution said...

We have expert team for
assignment help. Get best Assignment Solution in Australia at affordable price.

Thursday, 02 January, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

So glad you and your wife have each other. A good partner is invaluable.
What a list of resolutions! I am so impressed with your running even when unwell.

Saturday, 04 January, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home