The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 13, 2020

Baking Soda Toothpaste

I tend to be very fastidious about my teeth.  I brush my teeth usually at least four times a day (often up to six times a day) and I will usually floss at least twice a day. 

I am NOT fastidious about my teeth because I am so concerned with having some sort of "Hollywood" smile..... that was never a possibility.... and hell, with my mustache and beard, it is not all that often that my teeth show... even when I smile only a small amount of teeth show. 

I am fastidious about my teeth because..... a) I hate going to the dentist and hate having folks paw around in my mouth, b) I have always worried about tooth loss and had/have anxiety about losing teeth and/or getting dentures, c) because I have TMJ (temporomandibular jaw syndrome) where I grind my teeth and clench my teeth and put excessive stress on the teeth in this fashion, and d) because when I was smoking a pipe.... I wanted to avoid having the dentist commenting on my pipe smoking hobby and being negative.

So, for my age and my long term TMJ, I have reasonably healthy teeth and gums.   I do have two lower molar teeth with crowns, unfortunately.  Each crown I received had me feel a profound sense of failure.... my thought being that I was not careful enough or fastidious enough to adequately protect the teeth I was given.  I even expressed this to my dentist once a few months ago... and he actually laughed and told me that I was doing a damn good job and my teeth were great for my age and TMJ status.  I am still not sure if I believe that.   But it does make me feel a bit better. 

But.... in the image above.... I show my favorite toothpaste.   I do not always get it as my wife buys whatever is on sale.... but Arm & Hammer Baking Soda toothpaste is my absolute favorite.  I like/enjoy the gritty texture of the baking soda.... I like the flavor of the baking soda.... and for me, my mouth always feels best after brushing with that toothpaste. 

7 Comments:

Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

A good Irish whisky can have the same effect if you just slush it around in your mouth.
the Ol'Buzzard

Monday, 13 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hah! I like doing that too.

PipeTobacco

Monday, 13 January, 2020  
Blogger JanF said...

I have a friend with stunningly white teeth who has used nothing but baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to brush them for forty or more years! She said her dentist advised it all that time ago.

Tuesday, 14 January, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This is the second unsolicited endorsement of A&H that I have come across recently. I don't think I have ever come across such an endorsement of any toothpaste brand until now.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I am glad my habit in this like of baking soda ended up being helpful.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hah! That is interesting! It may be that traditional baking soda heavy toothpastes are now quite sparse and this is the primary brand left? But.... it is truly what I hope my wife buys when she shops..... even though in reality she gets what is on sale.

Wednesday, 15 January, 2020  
Blogger Dr Sebi Jr said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, 18 January, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home