The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Pleasant Resolution

On of my wife's New Year's Resolutions is that she wants to adopt a whole foods, plant-based, low fat diet to help her with her diabetes.  This is no easy feat for her, as she is quite meat focused from her upbringing.

For me, this is very exciting news.  In my own upbringing, meat was always present and available, but it was not the primary focus of what I grew up eating.  My family heritage emphasized a lot of pasta, a lot of cheeses, etc.    When I began to focus on loosing weight more than a dozen years ago, I found it easiest for me to focus on primarily eliminating fats and oils as much as possible from what I ate.   This naturally steered me to lower meat consumption (not that I ever ate a lot of it, because I do not like the smell of the cooking of meat).  Probably for the last year or two or perhaps even longer, I likely on average have one meal a week with meat.  It is one item that I do relish and do find healthy.... I have one turkey sandwich on toasted rye bread each week. 

But, during all these years of my working to eat healthier with little-to-no fat or oil, and yet my wife eating what she likes, it has sometimes been challenging for me and tested my mettle in terms of my resolve to choose amongst the available foods, the things that were low fat.  Now, with my wife pursuing a whole foods, plant based, low fat diet herself.... it will be much easier for me too!

PipeTobacco

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh that's good. We eat more meat than that: Husband will eat the occasional meat-free meal but moans if we have too many. And goes into a long diatribe about how we need meat in our diets.

I'm trying to eat a lower fat diet too. Not diet but change my lifestyle as the slimming club has it. Do struggle though.

Wednesday, 08 January, 2020  
Blogger Forsythia said...

This is something we all need to do to save the planet. It's hard. I grew up loving steak. We rarely, if ever, eat it, but from time to time, I really crave it.

Wednesday, 08 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

When I was young, my parents tended to get “impatient” with cooking meat so it would be done very rapidly and with high heat that tended to often scorch things. That is the origin, I believe, of not liking the smells of cooking meat. :)

Wednesday, 08 January, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

It IS far more energy economical to feed folks a vegetarian diet.

PipeTobacco

Wednesday, 08 January, 2020  
Blogger Joanne Noragon said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I have come to dislike the smell of meat cooking, and then its taste. Even though I was not the cook in the house for more than thirty years, I had no trouble eliminating meat. When I am a guest, and asked in consternation, "What DO you eat," I assure people to go about their regular diet; I can make a meal from almost anyone's table

Wednesday, 08 January, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Taste is a thing of luck. I cannot help preferring fried foods etc, and I don't really like veggies. Sigh.

Thursday, 09 January, 2020  
Blogger THE ONLY TRUE HACKER IN THE WORLD ® said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, 09 January, 2020  
Blogger Dr Sebi Jr said...

I have used Dr Aziba herbal Medicine cure remedy for 2 WEEKS now. So far, it has cured my HERPES, eliminated my COLD SORE, improved energy and metabolism, in the morning I feel recharged and I no longer feel sleepy after a meal. As for the scent, it does smell like motor oil but I chase it down with 100% Herbal medicine from Dr Aziba. twice a day AFTER a meal. I also experienced vivid dreams for about 5 days now it’s diminishing to during the first 2 or 3 hours of sleep . contact Dr Aziba: EMAIL: priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348100368288 and He also have herbs medicine.
Some other areas of your health you may need Dr Aziba help to get cured.
{1}Diabetes
{2}HPV
{3}ALS
{4}Herpes
Contact
Dr via Email: Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
WhatsApp : +2348100368288

Saturday, 18 January, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home