The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, February 08, 2020

Running Milestone

On Thursday, the day that I could not run as usual in the morning due to work requirements, I was nervous and worried most of the day about how and when to fit in my run. 

Well, I ended up finally getting to run very late in the day.  When I got too the track, I decided that I damn well was going to try to strive for something "new".  As I said previously, I have been contemplating in a "pipe dream" sort of fashion, the idea of running a 1/2 marathon race sometime this coming Summer if I can get up enough psychological courage and physical stamina to do so.  A half marathon is 13.1 miles (~21 km) in length. 

The "psychological courage" part is the idea of actually running in an official race and overcoming the obstacles  I have in terms of self image.  See, the reality is that even though I do run (jog), and I do have a healthy BMI now (~23 @ 172lb).... from a psychological perspective I still see myself inside as the chubby, "fat-kid" who at one time weighed almost 300 pounds (~130 kg or 20.5 stone).  It takes a lot of psychological energy for me to push through that.... because innately I tend to see myself as not being "athletic".

But also, in terms of the "physical stamina" part, running 13.1 miles in one setting, continuously... IS a helluva lot of work!  I am not sure of my previous longest single time running distance.... but I believe it was either 8 or 9 miles (~13-14km).

Well, Thursday evening.... I screwed up enough damn, dogged determination, and decided to give it a try.  And.... I *DID* complete all 13.1 miles in one setting.  It took me about 121 minutes.   The last three miles were very tough... and I ended up slowing considerably during those last three miles.... but I completed all 13.1 without stopping once!!!!

Now... this was big accomplishment for me, and with further work and further practice each month... it may be possible for me to enter a real 1/2 marathon race and also work through the psychological crap.... and maybe, actually do it!  

When March rolls around, I will try to do another 13.1 to see if I can replicate it.

PipeTobacco





2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That is quite an achievement, whether you enter the formal race or not.

Sunday, 09 February, 2020  
Blogger David M. Gascoigne, said...

I admire anyone who even contemplates running a half marathon!

Sunday, 09 February, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home