The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, March 05, 2020

Plumbing Peculiarities


While I kind of, generally know how to do some basic plumbing repair.... I will not attempt ANY actual plumbing repair if it is required on the second story of our home.   Recently, one of the float systems in an upstairs toilet started to fail.  It was not a simple, traditional float system with the giant ball-like float that cantilevers over to one side in the holding tank, but instead was of the more complex  "Fluidmaster" type shown in the image above. 

Technically, I *know* how to replace the beast.... but... with it being on the second floor.... I feel more comfortable having a real plumber come in and fix it.  If this were to have happened on our first floor toilet, I would have done the work.... and I have done so in the past.  But the worry... and the stress of the worry about my efforts not being completely perfect, and the damn toilet overflowing and the images of water cascading down the stairs, and water soaking and eventually causing collapse of the first floor ceilings.... make the plumber's charge a small price to pay for a significant reduction (not elimination) of that fear.  

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Money well spent!

Thursday, 05 March, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I worked at a giant home improvement store and I was required to learn everything in every department..so I could have done it for you..only thing I don't know how to do is anything electrical..flipping a light switch is as far as I go when it comes to electrical.

Thursday, 05 March, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We recently had a plumber in to do our second floor toilet. I likely wouldn't try the repair anyway, but I feared the shutoff valve was corroded. It was and this was the first thing that the plumber fixed.

Friday, 06 March, 2020  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

that is why plumbers make more than teachers.
the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 06 March, 2020  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i know a dude in texas who could fix that with his eyes closed standing on one leg.

Friday, 06 March, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home