The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, May 04, 2020

50 Years Ago


I remember the day very well.  It was a day of both horror and also of delight.

On this day, 50 years ago, my first niece was born.  This of course was the delight.  She is a wonderful, kind person.

But, also on this day, 50 years ago, the tragedy at Kent State University occurred.  For those who may not have been alive or aware of what happened in this situation, you of course can get a synopsis from many websites.  But, if you want a more complete feel of what the times and the situation was like, I would strongly recommend you pick up a copy of Michner's "Kent State: What Happened and Why" to get a more comprehensive perspective. 

With Covid-19, it is not possible to have actual face-to-face events to remember this tragedy on the Kent State University campus like usual.  So, instead, there is an on-line remembrance.  You may wish to visit this site: 

50th Anniversary Commemoration at Kent State University

PipeTobacco 

5 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

I don't remember this event, maybe they didn't talk a lot about this in Europe, anyway it was my first marriage year !

Monday, 04 May, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Thanks for the link to the Commemoration. I was a reporter and covering the anti war movement. I was not at Kent State that day. I remember the outrage it provoked. At subsequent demonstrations there was an additional sense of fear.

Monday, 04 May, 2020  
Blogger David P. said...

Tom Cochrun: what I remember as a student at the time, was a deflated feeling by those against the war ... a friend noted "What did we learn? That the other side has all the guns." An overwhelming pessimism and sadness, questioning how we could win against the war in Vietnam when those supporting it were willing to kill us.

At least that's my primary remembrance of the emotions of that day.

Monday, 04 May, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I was 10 years old when this happen. I recall my dad thought the protester during the Vietnam was bunch of punks.

Monday, 04 May, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I remember it well and remember thinking what have we become? if I only knew.

Monday, 04 May, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home