The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Feeling A Little Stir Crazy


I guess that my extreme efforts in electronic teaching were very helpful for me.  At the moment, things have calmed down in that regard for a bit, and I have even spent some time doing some planning for the classes I will eventually have in Summer.  But, now with a return to a bit of "down  time" I am finding I am feeling a bit "stir crazy" in ways I had not been since this Covid-19 has began. 

Even though I have not been a person who shops at stores or eats out super often... I have been feeling a real desire to go out shopping, or to go out to visit my favorite restaurants.  But, while grocery stores are open, it is not really a place to meander any more for a while.  And, the same is true for restaurants... we could order some "take out" versions of our favorites.  But, that is not really what I am feeling stir crazy about.  I guess I am just feeling the desire to want to do something more previously normal and commonplace. 

Things that are likely to be off-limits for quite a while that I do miss are:

1. Swimming at the community pool.
2. Going to a movie theater.
3. Going to see a play.
4. Going to a gym.
5. Going camping.
6. Visiting a different city for a vacation and new experiences.
7. Playing in my Community Band.

Please know I am not complaining.  We are doing what is needed and necessary and helpful.  I just have been SO busy and consumed with trying to convert to electronic teaching, that the pangs of sorrow about what is not possible in normal life currently, did not register as much until the last few days when some of my work pressures eased up a bit.   I guess today's writings are just to acknowledge these feelings. 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, I think we will miss those things for quite awhile. I don't think most people understand just how long this could last.

Wednesday, 06 May, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I think we are learning how truly social an animal that we are.
Hope we learn to not to take "routine" things for granted.

Wednesday, 06 May, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

My job let me get out. But I miss seeing my sons and there family.

Wednesday, 06 May, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I go to the grands to babysit the ggs (she's a nurse)..she has no one else that can watch them..other wise I'd still be in the house.

Thursday, 07 May, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm feeling very much like that today. Although I am rather more inclined to go bed and sleep for the duration.

I hope it, the lethargy/depression, will pass soon for both of us.

Saturday, 09 May, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home