The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Missing the Community Pool


One especially missed aspect of my routine from before Covid-19, was my frequent use of the indoor community pool.  My pattern had grown such that I would typically go and swim AT LEAST twice a week even in the most bitter cold parts of the Winter, and more and more frequently until I was there nearly every day in the Summer. 

When Covid-19 restrictions first started here in March, I remember how I had swam there on the day before the announcement of the massive closures that would need to be enacted.  It has been a long drought (pun intended) for me now.  And, when temperatures soared to a very humid 93 degrees Fahrenheit  (34 Celcius) yesterday, I was spending a lot of time reminiscing about that pool. 

In the greater scheme, loss of a convenience of a pool is extraordinarily minor for the safety of the populace.  But, I do so very much look forward to hopefully returning to the pool someday.  I so hope science will be able to develop a viable vaccine for Covid-19 quickly and ends up being easy and rapid to identify, immediately shown to be safe in clinical trials, is able to mass-produced quickly and distributed globally. 

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Yes, we are all hoping for a vaccine. For your sake, however, I admit I'm also hoping that researchers will identify a number of chemicals that can serve as highly effective prophylactics against the virus, and that nicotine will turn out to be one of those chemicals.

Thursday, 28 May, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I miss our city pool..I miss taking the gg's to the parks..to the movies.I miss our way of life.

Thursday, 28 May, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Yes, I keep looking for further research about the effects of nicotine and rate of infection too. :)

Thursday, 28 May, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I too very much miss movie theaters, community theaters, and attending band and orchestral performances. And, I miss playing in my community band.

Thursday, 28 May, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope for a vaccine but wonder whether whoever gets it first will charge a fortune to sell.
I also wonder how the world would go about making it available for over 7 billion people. How long will that take?

Thursday, 28 May, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Very valid points. I am of a mindset that distribution may best be served by focusing on the “hot spots” worldwide first, then proceeding outward from there. Hopefully, global vaccination will be swift (I believe if we focused, it could occur fully within a six month window).

Thursday, 28 May, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home