The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 07, 2020

Challenging for Many of Us


One aspect of this Covid-19 situation that I think is difficult for MANY of us is with so much more at-home time, the option and ability to mindlessly eat is much greater.  And, with many places having limited/alternative options in the grocery stores, many people are finding the foods they are eating are changing as well. 

I am finding myself *wanting* to often nibble on food frequently because the kitchen is only a few steps away.  But, I guess this is one time where my being a "formerly" very hefty person has a little bit of benefit.  In my transition about a dozen years ago to a normal BMI (23.1) person who weighs ~170 lb from when I previously weighed almost 300 lb and had a BMI of ~39.... I had to learn in my transition to a normal BMI to not "rummage and graze" all the time.  I had to learn to not eat out of boredom.  I had to learn to recognize real need to consume food versus emotional desire to consume food.   

So, I do understand all the folks who talk about how they have gained weight while being more at home due to Covid-19.  I am fortunate to have developed a skill set to better handle what I collectively refer to as "stress eating". 

PipeTobacco

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well said, but I'm going down for chips right now.

Thursday, 07 May, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I've gained 7 pounds...gggrrrrr

Thursday, 07 May, 2020  
Blogger kestrel said...

Wow, you are much lighter now, hope the waters do not wash you away during fishing trips. Lock down here will be lifted next Wed 13.5, but I suspect life will not be "normal" for a long time yet. So here's me having my curry puffs and ginger tea for the second time today besides breakfast and lunch, better hungry than angry???

Friday, 08 May, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Good advice. The details of your weight management are very impressive.

Friday, 08 May, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I need a bit of control over my eating. I am picking and nibbling all day.

Saturday, 09 May, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

Yeah...I'm getting a wee tire around the midsection myself, despite a semi-regular exercise routine. I blame my spouse's good cooking. And the booze. Yeah, there's the booze...Excuses, excuses...My early life was heavy...went in the opposite direction in my teens...(Some anorexia will drop the pounds)...Now as I've crept up into middle-age...so has the weight. Not as hard on myself as I used to be....but I could stand to use a pound or ten....

Tuesday, 12 May, 2020  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Been skinny most of my life, until I added some welcome pounds in adulthood. I weighed 110 at age 21 (too skinny) and 148 at age 65 (a little too heavy) and 135 at age 76 (just right.) Then I got sick with pulmonary fibrosis. Catastrophic weight loss due to the illness and the appetite-killing propensities of the prescribed anti-fibrotic drug. Went down to 112. Went off drug temporarily. Back to 118. Hoping for 125 someday. If only the people who are gaining unwelcome weight during the pandemic could somehow transfer their unwanted pounds to me.

Tuesday, 12 May, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, 18 May, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

PipeTobacco, I hope you're doing OK. You're usually strong-willed about adhering to your plans, and I notice that until May 8 you were adhering to your plan to post at least a little something every day, though not necessarily a large essay. So, your being away suddenly for 10 days leads me to wonder:

Are you having a health problem that is keeping you away from the keyboard?

Are you in the midst of some personal crisis that has made you reluctant or fearful to write?

I hope you will feel able to write soon.

Monday, 18 May, 2020  
Blogger BBC said...

Carry on.....

Tuesday, 19 May, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home