The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

8 +


I ran 8.5 miles (14 km) this morning.  But, I did the first 7.5 as usual, and then I came and got my dog and took her for a mile run as well.  She used to run with me very frequently.... except in the Winter when I did not run outside.  Normally what I have done in the past is each Spring when I resume running outside, I take her initially on short distance runs for a few days and eventually work her back up to being able to run the full length with me. 

Unfortunately, when I was required to start running outside around March 15th due to Covid-19, I was too keyed up and stressed about damn near everything, so I did not actually think about getting my dog back into running again.  I started to think about this about the second week in June, feeling guilty I hadn't gotten her out on the trail with me. 

I may be overly cautious in working my dog slowly back up to running.  But, I feel safer with this to ensure that she will not get hurt.  She did wonderfully today with her mile.  She will be able to build back up pretty quickly. 

I am carrying around a pipe with me again, as a sort of pacifier, I guess.  I haven't mentioned it in a while, but I am still in that difficult mindset where the desire for having a pipe is so much more surprisingly strong that it was even a month ago.  It is a real struggle to resist, even though I know that sounds awfully damn dumb. 

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That seems a sensible way to get your dog ready and running again. We all get stiff and need to break ourselves in gently after a gap in exercise. Our poor old George struggles to run anywhere - unless there's a treat at the end.

Thursday, 25 June, 2020  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Very wise to let your dog get reconditioned.

Friday, 26 June, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

Professor...You KNOW you want to smoke a pipe again.

Sunday, 28 June, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Yes. That is very true. Every day that desire is there.

Tuesday, 30 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home