The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Knot

Bulleted list:

  • Still feeling low. A mixture of feeling hurt, angry, and resentful.  Some of it is towards people, some of it is towards situations, and some of it is at myself.
 
  • Running was the last thing I wanted to do at 5:30am this morning, but I did it.   I am glad I did it, but also glad it is over for the day.
 
  • Having hopes and dreams in life used to seem valuable and important.  Lately it just seems foolish and dumb for me to have those types of thoughts.
 
  • So much of what I do (or any of us do for that matter, I guess) is just a bunch of nothing.
 
  •  In my mind today, I am seeing a difference between "serving others" and being a "servant".  They may sound similar, but their application and context are far different. 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Sorry you're feeling low. The coronavirus must be really hard on teachers, priests and pastors.

I'd like to know the difference you see between "serving others" and being a "servant."

Wednesday, 17 June, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I guess I was meaning “serving others” feels like a choice whereas being a “servant” feels more like something you are being forced to do. I can see “servant” being used in other ways... but at least for today, am feeling Mike an indentured servant... who is EXPECTED to do things.

Wednesday, 17 June, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

A servant empties himself to give people what they need, whether or not they know that they need it.

A lackey lets controlling people empty him for their own purposes.

An employee is paid to achieve someone else's purposes.

A slave receives little recompense other than survival for achieving someone else's purposes. Yet a skilled slave sometimes has training and ability the master lacks, and receives respect for his craft or skill.

When you go back and review the various Mass readings, you'll find exhortations to be a diligent employee, a profitable servant, and even a cooperative and well-behaved slave. However, there is nothing in Scripture or Church teaching to encourage you to be a lackey. Jesus Christ was a servant, but he was no one's lackey, even though this cost Him His life.

Wednesday, 17 June, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Pat:

Very nicely stated. You have encompassed my thoughts and emotions well. I am feeling resentful at feeling like a “lackey” on several different levels at the moment.

Wednesday, 17 June, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Tough times, eh? Good points, especially the last. Maybe one doesn’t want to be servile but sometimes serve to assist others.

Wednesday, 17 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home