The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

"Wooly-Bully"


While it is not really one of my "favorite" songs by any stretch of the imagination... it is one that I have heard hundreds upon hundreds of times over the course of my life.   The song is "Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaos, and it was first released in 1965.  I bring up this song because:

1.  I am not sure if this happens to any of you or not, but for me, through most of my life, I watch, or observe things in my day-to-day life, and very frequently, a song lyric will jump to the forefront of my mind in response to what I am viewing. 

2.  This kind of "song association" with seeing some general item is something I remember happening to me since I was a very young kid.  Most of the time the song that occurs in my mind has lyrics, but not always.  Most of the time there is some sort of connection to the lyrics and what I am observing... but not always.

3.  One example of a lyric I hear OFTEN (not always, but often) when I see some sort of writing utensil (like a pen or pencil) is "America" by Simon & Garfunkel.  There is nothing about a pen or pencil in that song, but for some reason, perhaps because the song's lyrics are somewhat like a journal, I often hear it associated with seeing a writing utensil.   

4.  So, back to "Wooly Bully".... again I never really liked the song much (didn't *hate* it, but it was never a favorite).  But.... the song does STICK in my mind, like a fly trap.  In my mind, I always imagined that a "Wooly Bully" was some sort of big beast-like animal of some sort.  

The conclusion of my thoughts today..... When I got back from my 7.5 mile (12 km) run this morning, I went upstairs to shower before getting dressed and getting to work on the computer.  When I looked at myself in the mirror.... keeping in mind I have not had a haircut or beard/mustache trim since Covid-19 started and I was due for a haircut back then..... the song "Wooly Bully" started to play in my mind. 

Now this damn song has been running through my mind all day. 

I went and tried to do a bit of research on the song.... here is a little bit of information about the song that I gleaned from Wikipedia:

""Wooly Bully" is a reworking of the 1962 tune "Hully Gully Now" by Big Bo & The Arrows. The song was given the green light after Sam (the Sham) rewrote the lyrics famously replacing "Hully Gully" with "Wooly Bully" and few additional lyrical changes. 

The lyrics of "Wooly Bully" were hard to understand, and some radio stations banned the song. The lyrics describe a conversation between "Mattie" and "Hattie" concerning the "Wooly Bully" (a creature which Mattie describes as "a thing she saw [that] had two big horns and a wooly jaw") and the desirability of developing dancing skills,  According to Sam (the Sham): "The name of my cat was 'Wooly Bully', so I started from there." 

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I often have songs pop into my head, but I don't think there are particular triggers. The majority of them are hymns and gospel songs from my youth, which for musical purposes, I shall define as into mid-30s.

Thursday, 25 June, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Now I'm going to be singing it! good job I'm going to bed soon. Maybe it'll have gone by the morning.

Thursday, 25 June, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Well, there is another out here, who now has that song in their head! It was from a more innocent time however.

Thursday, 25 June, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

back in the mid 60's I worked for advertisement for a radio station..getting advertisement for rock and roll bands to come to Roswell, New Mexico..we had 2 bands that I remember..Sam the Sham and the Viscounts .where I heard Harlem Nocturne for the first time and fell in love with it..sigh..** when my tits were perky.

Saturday, 27 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home