The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Stuff


Just generally working my gluteus maximus off at the moment trying to keep up to snuff with my three courses.  But a few "spouts" I want to state:

  • I had to have a "Zoom" meeting that involved the member of my Department who is the giant annoyance (thorn in my side).  Not surprisingly, she was in her "rare form" and she was just as annoying, obnoxious, and hurtful and frustrating as usual.  But, I have to say that I am pleased that I kept my calm, I have to say that she disagreed with and questioned EVERY point I brought to the meeting (I had a task to present)..... but EVERY DAMN THING SHE said ended up not needing to be stated, and NOTHING I brought forth to the meeting had to be changed in any way, shape or form.   So, while she prolonged our meeting by triple what it NEEDED to be... in the end.... we left with the details and answers EXACTLY as I had brought forth!  The unnecessary length annoyed me, but being shown to be CORRECT (100% I might add) was so, so very pleasing... none of her nonsense was considered valid.
  • I am contemplating a bit how having to learn how a computer program developer THINKS may be changing some of my own "organizational" thinking.  I am getting very DEEP into being able to use the online learning management tools now that it is getting to be at a point where I am beginning to think in the developer's organizational framework in a more "natural" way.... I feel I am getting close to being able to say that I am ALMOST "CPDSL" meaning I am gaining comfort with Computer Program Developer as a "second" language.  It will NEVER be my native tongue, my native thought process.... but I am almost getting to the conversant level. :)
  • It never ceases to surprise me, but my desire to smoke a pipe is never particularly predictable to me.  Some days (a scant few), I hardly think about my pipes more than perhaps two or three times.  Other days, they are on my mind pretty regularly (at least a half dozen times a day), and some days or at least some parts of days, I still will have a deep, very profound yearning for a pipe.  Today has been one of the days where a pipe just seems to be profoundly beautiful and enticing.  It is not because I had the Zoom meeting with the nasty person, for I did not really feel stress before or after the meeting (and before and after, I did experience the yearning).  It does not seem to fit a pattern that I have yet recognized.  
 I guess that is enough "stuff" for this afternoon.

PipeTobacco 

5 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

Regarding that negative woman/colleague....there is ALWAYS someone like that out there. I call them psychic vampires. You can't really change them. Best you can do is not feed them. Regarding pipes...I am slowly learning the gentle art....(I remember asking you about advice about them way back when...2005 or thereabouts. Pipe-smokers and what the hobby/lifestyle represents are a virtue to me...one I try to cultivate when I'm not being lazy. Piping takes a lot more work and focus that just smoking cigarettes...which plays right into mindless addictive behavior. Anyway, I'm still learning. How many pipes do/did you have? What tobacco blends did you favor? Just curious.

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...


Hello Gap!

It is great to hear from you!!! I have probably at least 150 pipes that I have acquired over the years. I still have virtually every pipe I was ever given or purchased except for a very small handful that met sad, untimely fates (one, I accidentally ran over with my vehicle, for instance). As far as pipe tobaccos..... I have always said I never had a pipe tobacco I did not like or appreciate in some fashion. But, my favorites have always tended to be heavier burley leaf pope tobaccos. I do very much miss them.

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Glad your 'stuff' is working out for you.

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

Professor...My collection is relatively small...with the advent of the You Tube Pipe Community (YTPC) they've developed their own terminology...One of them is PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder)....which I haven't gotten sucked into yet, thankfully. My technique has improved over the years. I REALLY have to be in the mood to light up...certain moods and events have to align. But The Gentle Art has certainly improved my life...and in a way, you were on of the first mentors...with your well-written descriptions of it. (The melding of flame and tobacco and whatnot.) I've learned much....and will continue to do so as it's a large field of knowledge. But I still feel like a newbie. Aromatics seem to be my go-to....but who knows? The opinion may change. (HAUNTED BOOKSHOP nearly blew my head off my one and only time trying it...)
Anyway, I will post one of my YT videos so you can get a sense. Always a pleasure to read your posts, Professor. Glad you're still doing your blog....)

https://youtu.be/Qf2NR5_fP4A

Thursday, 04 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home