The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Picture Rail


In exploring various hanging options for items on the walls, I have found that the "velcro" strap things that can be removed from the wall without damage are very useful.  I have put up three things so far... and have many others I am working towards doing as well. 

But, there are still some heavier items that I wish to hang, and there are two rooms where I am especially wary of putting random holes in the wall to allow these heavier items to hang.  But... I *think* I have found a solution.... or more accurately the possibility of a solution.... by using what are called "picture rails"! 

The one such system shown in the photo is (to me) a bit overly cluttered in appearance.... but there are many different options, and I think I may be able to find a system that will work well in the two rooms that I am still hesitating on putting holes in the wall.  The way the system works is that you have rail of some sort (it is decorative) that you do permanently attach.... but being decorative, it looks appropriate for the room, and then you hang (using special chains, or other apparati) the photos or artwork you want from them.  The rail allows for a single item or multiple like you see in the photo. 

In the dining room, I think I could put up a decorative wrought iron rail type system and it would be nice with OR without pictures hanging from it.  It would give me a lot of options!  And, I have seen in my searches and wooden rail that looks a bit like crown molding that would look pretty nice in the living room. 

I am going to explore and contemplate this a bit more, but I think I may order these in the day or two.  My wife seemed to like and be happy with these as options too.  So that is good. 

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Right on! I like the notion of it not damaging the walls. Fixing that up when you move out is just one more thing to do when you're busy enough. I have a painting of a rock star on the wall and I often blame my burps and farts on him to make my son laugh. He's hung all crooked on a nail.

Wednesday, 08 July, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That does seem like a solution.

Thursday, 09 July, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home