The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 02, 2020

Decorating Anew

I admit that I really like the relatively current style a lot of folks adopt of hanging clusters of smaller photos, paintings, and pictures upon some walls of the home to give a "collage" sort of effect. 

My wife and I have have been talking about this for years.  But, I have always been very gunshy and hesitant about trying this sort of approach.... because I hate and abhor and get stupidly very nervous about putting holes in the walls to hang pictures. 

Our current approach is to have a few photos or art works on the wall that are larger.... and this means ONE art work or photo per wall.... which hangs from a screw that I (with great trepidation, anxiety, and generally hours of fussing before I did it) put into the walls many, many, many years ago and have been "making due" with ever since.  I *know* it is a damn stupid behavior.  I *realize* it is just a damn hole in the wall.  I *understand* this.... but it doesn't change the fact that I have ALWAYS been agonizingly slow and hesitant about putting holes in walls. 

I am not sure really, why this is.  But, I think a lot of my hesitancy is that I am concerned I will do it "wrong" and that I will mar the wall in such a way that if I do put it in a "wrong" position, I will be forced to look at the obnoxious hole or screw until I end up plastering it back up..... but.... that is not enough... I would also need to paint the wall as well, so it once again looks even. 

PURELY STUPID.... I KNOW.  But, still, it is what I experience.... no matter how damn dumb it is. 

Well... I had heard of these stick on the wall, velcro adhesives, that "say" you can use to hang pictures, but I never believed they would work.  They even suggested the possibility of holding a picture/painting/photo that could weigh up to 12 pounds (~ 5.5 kg). 

After spending a few hours watching videos and reading about these velcro, hang on the wall things.... I am feeling ALMOST convinced they MAY work.  So, I took the plunge and ordered a bunch of these things on Amazon and have vowed to my wife that I will (with her guidance) put up some of these smaller pictures and photos and art work into collages in several areas of our home.  I do admit to having some concern that they will NOT work, and the pictures will come crashing down and break and get damaged.  But, I want to do this almost as much as my wife would like me to do this. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that when they eventually arrive, I will do this in the several locations that would benefit from more stuff on the walls... and I am working to get ready to just "plow through" and "do it" without  worrying "too much" (HAH!  That is a true "pipe dream".)

But, at least I am not putting more damn holes in the walls.  And, they *might* work too!

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

The possibility of perceived failure always gets me nervous as well, Professor.

Thursday, 02 July, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are clearly not a holier than thou sort of person.

Thursday, 02 July, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Velcro hangers sound good.
I love the multi photo approach but am convinced that if I tried it they'd just look a mess.

Friday, 03 July, 2020  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i spend a lot of time using stud finders. for a heavy picture, i can't rest unless there's a 4 inch screw smack in the middle of a stud finder.

Friday, 03 July, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home