The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, June 29, 2020

Toe

I have been experiencing a bit of discomfort in the second toe on my left foot for a few weeks.  When I look at the toe, it is calloused, and the toe-nail feels like it has been bashed around. 

So, when this first started a few weeks ago, I went searching online for potential answers.  The common response I found was:

"Causes. Your toenails are sore and throbbing after a run because your toes are being slammed into the tip of the toe box of your shoe with every step, especially as you go downhill. There are a couple of elements that can contribute to this: Your shoes are too small."

This seemed potentially why I might have had this discomfort..... I have been wearing a size 12 (US, size 46 EU) for the past 3-4 years (moving up from an 11 (US, size 45 EU) before that time.  So, my initial plan was to try out my next pair of running shoes in a larger size. 

But, then, I kept reading more, and was looking at various diagrams of typical foot patterns (you can see one such diagram above).  My toe pattern is most like the "Egyptian" pattern shown above.  The chart is interesting.... my wife's feet fit more the "Germanic" pattern. 

And, when I kept reading about the various ideas of how shoe size would relate to this injury, I realized that it was very UNLIKELY that the cause of my discomfort was as suggested.... because.... such a size related injury would affect primarily the longest toe of the five, which for me would be the Giant Toe (big toe).  And, my Giant toe (big toe) was perfectly fine on both feet.  It was only, very specifically my second toe on my left foot that was affected. 

This made me question what *could* be the cause then.  I feel awfully damn foolish to tell you.... I believe I have now discovered the answer..... I decided to feel the inside of my shoe where my toe would reside..... now.... please know I had shaken out my shoes many times thinking there might be a pebble or something lodged inside.  But, there was never anything. 

BUT... when I felt deep into the toe box of the shoe, directly ABOVE where my second toe would sit in the shoe.... I felt a very distinct "bump" in the fabric... somewhat like a small stalactite, that was VERY firm and prominent.  It was a part of the architecture of the shoe itself, not something lodged in there. 

So, what I decided to test was.... instead of wearing these current shoes (with ~1800miles (almost 3000km) on them).... I went back and got out my shoes from the year BEFORE (which had about the same miles on them when I stopped using them) and wore them while running all last week. 

My toe NO LONGER has any pain or discomfort.  It is not fully back up to snuff, because it is still calloused, and the nail bed looks a little bruised still.... but it is decreasing.  So, now I think I have the answer... the "stalactite" bump in my damn shoes caused this. 

Now, I still was perplexed at how this bump developed in my shoe.  It was NOT there when I bought the shoes last year.  My best guess, looking back on my running record is that when I tripped on one of my runs about 5 or so weeks ago (the time where I scraped my knee and hyperflexed my foot causing it to swell for a few days).... I suspect when I hyperflexed the foot, I hyperflexed the shoe in some way that caused some tearing and bunching of the material (padding) between the shoe's outer layer and the inner layer leading to the development of this bump. 

It is only a theory of course.... but it seems logical given that the timing of onset of the issue and it going away by wearing older shoes instead.... seems to fit together. 

I am glad.... it was bugging me.  I am gearing up for an appointment this week to get all masked up and social distance as best as I can and go to the shoe store that has now received in the two pairs of shoes I am considering as my new running shoes for the next year in my "clodhopper" size 12s. 

I ran 7.6 miles this morning with no discomfort.... using the old pair of running shoes from two years ago.  But, I have to admit, I am kind of looking forward to a new pair.... even though the damn expensive cost of these shoes makes me feel awfully guilty. 

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Surprising how painful "small" foot injuries are. I have "Greek" feet, which makes me kinda happy. Two or three years ago, I received what I considered an exotic DNA analysis from Ancestry.com. Along with the usual ho-hum British Isle/Scandinavian/German mix, I had a nice percentage of "Greek/Italian." Recently, they re-analyzed and took away my exotic component. I like to think, because of my "Greek" feet, that maybe they were wrong!! My husband has tried to explain how they come up with the percentages, but my eyes glaze over . . . . .

Monday, 29 June, 2020  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

It's really the worst finding the right shoe. I think sometimes we got to bite the bullet and go to the fancy stores like Fleet Feet where they size you up right and get the expensive ones. And then once you got the right one, just stick with it. I just order up the same 40 buck ones that wear out too quick but don't hurt.

Monday, 29 June, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My feet are Greek, even if I am not. I have heard this called Morton's Toe. My wife is a Morton, but she doesn't have this toe -- probably closer to Roman.

Tuesday, 30 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home