The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, December 28, 2020

Monday Summary


Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were very nice overall in our household. Our turkey dinner on Christmas was quite fun and festive as a turkey dinner with stuffing and all the other fixings is always a pleasant and "homey" experience since we have this dinner perhaps four times a year.  

With the more unpredictable schedule for Christmas and heck, for all of this past week, I am very relieved and happy to report that with some finagling I was still able to accomplish a full 52 miles (~84 km) of running last week.  It was a bit dicey (as is predictable) on Christmas, where I literally forced myself onto the treadmill to try to run after dinner.... and managed to only accomplish 3.1 miles of my normal 9 miles before throwing in the towel.  Luckily, I had been adding an additional mile here and there all week long, thinking Christmas Day might be difficult to find time to run.  I also ran a total of 12 miles on Saturday to further compensate.  

It is tough running on the treadmill for me.  I have to be much more attentive and focused or I can easily go astray and run into trouble (pun intended) with moving off the belt.  The concentration, the attentiveness, and the lack of change of scenery makes it a bit of a challenge to relax my body during the run, makes it a much more challenging effort to pray the rosary, and the enclosed space of the room with the treadmill (our basement) makes me VERY tired by the time I hit the 9 mile mark.  And, I very truthfully need to always wipe down the machine afterwards as I am literally dripping sweat all over the damn thing by the time I am done.

I am still debating between my id, ego, and super-ego on whether or not it may be legitimate and fruitful to indulge in a pipe or two during this break period.  Just the *thoughts* of doing so feel so vibrant and enthralling.  I spent an hour or so yesterday opening up various tins, pouches, and bags of my varied stock of pipe tobaccos, absorbing the beautiful aromas of each mixture or blend or variety.  I contemplated which leaf I would choose if I were to take on this adventure.  

My wife is attempting to coax us (me, actually, as she is fully on board) to get or subscribe to Netflix.  I am not really sure if I want to deal with another "gizmo" sort of new electronic THING or not.  "Streaming" just seems too damn ephemeral to me for its costs and its *perceived* benefits.  I personally do not think the expense is worth it, and I feel for the modest amount of television we watch (arguably, she watches far more than I do), it seems unnecessary with what we already have via our cable television provider  and our option to utilize Amazon on the rare occasions we would like to see something not on our cable system.  

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We don't have regular tv anymore but just stream. If you find something you like, you can watch it consecutively rather than wait a week.

Monday, 28 December, 2020  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Professor, you should return to your pipes. Not for a visit, but to reunite with long-neglected friends. You know, deep down, that if you embark on what you call the "adventure" it will be a one-way trip, and that's OK.

How do I know? You write of possibly having "a pipe or two" as your indulgence. One pipe would be an experiment, to see whether or not it would satisfy your emotional and psychological longings as deeply as your physiochemical longings. But the fact that you already think about "two" pipes tells me that you already know the answer. The unanswered question is simply whether you find it beneficial enough to keep torturing yourself with abstinence. After one pipe you MIGHT be able to back away (though I doubt it), as you had gone 34 months between pipes and you would know you could do so again if you liked. A second pipe, though, would drop your abstinence interval to days or even hours, and you surely wouldn't wait another 34 months for a third pipe.

Good luck in making the decision that is right for you!

Monday, 28 December, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I admire your ability to log as many miles as you do on the treadmill. I used a nordic track for many years, now several years ago, and came to loath the time for reasons such as you stated.
I find my thrice weekly tennis matches and our frequent hikes a better regimen, but I am not a distance runner.
It sounds as though you derived a lot of joy in visiting your tobaccos. You write about it vividly.
We finally subscribed to NETFLIX, and have found some high quality series and movies.
Good luck on fronts.

Monday, 28 December, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I love netflix..and hulu..but I have firestick with kodi app so i get it all for free.

Monday, 28 December, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home