The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Nervous & Worried

I am feeling a significant amount of stress about Covid-19 at the moment.  I am again having to meet with students for a percentage of my classes in face-to-face mode and it is having me feel quite a bit of anxiety.  I have been as careful and consistent in following all the rules/regulations for best safety practice with masks, washing of hands, social distancing, etc.  However, I also *do* know that is not a fail-safe method... it is simply the best that I can currently do.  

I so want to receive my vaccination (or at least the first injection if I were to receive the dual dose form).  But, I have no idea when I will be a) considered eligible and b) have no idea when vaccines will be available in my region FOR my eligibility status.  

The categories in the US and in my state are so chaotic.  In THEORY I should be pretty close to being able to qualify according to the original timetable.  My wife, with her underlying health conditions *should* already be eligible.  Yet, all available information I can find by phone, or online or in the news suggests that there is still a huge struggle and backlog in terms of getting just the first group... the health care workers vaccinated in my region.  And, that was supposed to have been available and accomplished several weeks ago. 

If they are still struggling to acquire enough vaccines to try to vaccinate the health care workers, that likely means my wife's potential vaccination may be up to two months away, and mine probably at least three months away.... regardless of what the "timeline" was/is suggesting.  

I had a nightmare two days ago where I was hospitalized for having extremely severe Covid-19 symptoms and ended up dying.  I saw that my family received the magic phone call that I could get my vaccination.... three days after I had died.  I woke up in terror.

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

As a septuagenarian, I am not expecting a shot until April. We shall see. Pfizer isn't shipping to us next week due to something or other.

Thursday, 21 January, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Given another of your ongoing worries, I find it fascinating that a few states (Washington and New Jersey for sure, and some others I haven't confirmed) have decided that tobacco smokers can jump to the front of the line for their COVID-19 vaccinations.

NJ Smokers Eligible for COVID vaccine

Not that this should influence your own plans -- and it may be that your state won't follow this pattern -- but I must admit I found it surprising.

Thursday, 21 January, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Oh! If my state were to adopt that strategy..... then I would have even more impetus to rejoin the pipe passion!!!!!

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 21 January, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home