The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Huge Covid Surge


 

Although there is no GOOD time for this to happen, unfortunately the surging COVID rates in my region are not being dealt with appropriately.  That they are surging now in a way with no cohesive guidance makes work at this time of the U semester pretty much a nightmare:

1.  I am expected to keep face-to-face classes that I have been teaching, and NOT converting them to online (because there is no policy from the state).

2.  I am expected to not only teach these face-to-face classes, but to also simultaneously build electronic replacements for the myriad of students who are now unable to attend because they are in quarantine due to exposure to an active COVID patient.  

3.  And, do I or will I get notified about quarantining myself, because of the high probability that some COVID active student has been in one of my multi-hour face-to-face classes? 

+ + +

It is just so difficult to be at peace with anything at the moment.  

My wife is grumpy about her work and COVID too.  It is difficult to talk with our kids about this as well as they are all experiencing various COVID scares again as well.  

+ + +

I so very much want to smoke my pipes right now (PCS = 9).  The yearning, the pangs of missing them feels so harsh today that it feels like it is in the top 10 days of difficulty I have experienced in the last 1,155 days I have gone without my pipes (Yes, I just counted to see how many days it has been.).

+ + + 

Running, though critical for my stress management, is not in a fun phase at the moment.  I am still doing my 9 (or more) miles a day, but I am not experiencing any joy in it the last week or two.  I hope that my mood improves where I can get back to it being enjoyable again.  Currently, I am just trying to view it as a "prescription medication"  that I *have* to do and *have* to get done to dissipate stress.  I cannot simply ignore it, because I want to.  And, if I did not run, I suspect my mood would be even less "stellar" than it currently is.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

So far, our tighter lockdown is not showing much effect.

People are not thinking clearly. There is now C in our extended family bc someone thought it a good idea to work out in a gym in a hot spot region.

Wednesday, 14 April, 2021  
Blogger Forsythia said...

The tunnel we're in just seems to keep getting longer and longer. We've been in this tunnel for over a year already! For those of us who are introverts and are retired, it's not as bad as it is for those of you who have to deal with this craziness every day. I wish there were an easy way to relieve your pain.

Thursday, 15 April, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

9 miles a day! Holy moly. I am very fatigued and discouraged with how people are dealing with covid. Or not dealing with it--more like pretending it doesn't exist and will go away on its own. :( Our governor is strict which makes some people angry; my county dropped back to Phase 2 because of surging cases. I used to consider myself a people person, "Oh, I love people." Bah, humbug.That has changed into staying in with my cat, and hating the covidiots.

Thursday, 15 April, 2021  
Blogger Kay said...

I’m so glad I’m a retired teacher. I feel so sorry for the teachers now who have to plan for ZOOM and in-class teaching. My kindergarten grandson seems to be taking it in stride, but I know it’s not a happy situation for my 14 year old granddaughter who misses seeing her friends in school.

Monday, 26 April, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home