The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 05, 2021

This & That

 



My attempt at humor for April Fools Day here unfortunately did not go as I had thought.  I suspect I needed to have found a more enticing way for folks to WANT to click on the link I provided.  Oh well.  It was still funny to me.  :)  And, I am glad that some people DID try out the link after reading the pretend story I wrote. :)  

About three weeks ago, I was asked by my parish priest to be the reader at the Stations of the Cross service we had on Good Friday.  I have done this in the past, and I am often selected because either a) I am the only one who is willing, or b) they feel I do a good job of having a prayerful mindset and voice, strong enunciation, a clear, sonorous tone, appropriate inflection,  and good cadence.  I am *hoping* the reason is the latter.  This year, there was an especially long "Stations of the Cross" service because not only did the traditional "Stations of the Cross" readings, reflections, prayers occur, but each station also had a special additional few paragraphs written related to prayer and thought about the Covid-19 situation locally, regionally, and globally as well.  My reading and walking folks through the Stations of the Cross ended up lasting almost a full 60 minutes.  I finished just ahead of the start of Good Friday Mass.  

On Good Friday Mass, we have an especially long reading of the Passion at the Gospel where it often takes around 30 minutes or so to read.  One of the readers is our priest of course, but at this particular Gospel, he also has two other readers, a narrator, and a "regular voice".  The priest's role is to be the voice of Jesus.  The "regular voice" is a small part with perhaps 5-10 lines, and my wife was the "regular voice" this time.  The narrator is the majority of the speaking role.  Father also asked me to be the narrator (I have done this before as well).   So, by the end of Mass at closing in on around 2:45, my voice was a bit tired.   But, overall, Good Friday felt very spiritual, very helpful, and put my mind in a spiritual mode.  It was good to be back (with safety, masking, social distancing).  Last year at Good Friday, we were in lockdown.

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your joke worked well once I went back and clicked. I have told others how well done it was and how I was completely taken in.

Tuesday, 06 April, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home