The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Chew


 

PCS Scale Today - 6

My TMJ is acting up fiercely this morning.  Even though I wore my bite splint faithfully like always, my temporomandibular joint aches and is inflamed.  I must have been brusking and clenching and grinding like crazy last night.  It is very uncomfortable and difficult to chew this morning.  I have already taken two aspirin to hopefully reduce some of the inflammation. 

I forced myself to get back into my normal running routine this morning.  I did not want to get out of bed, but I forced my feet onto the floor at 5:00am and because it was raining (and pitch black outside) I ran on the treadmill.  9.3 miles (15km).  I am glad it is done for the day.  I am hoping that forcing myself back into routine times for running will help me.  It has been less than exciting having to run after a day at the U.  

I am going to try to be focused and accomplish a lot here at the U today.  Although I still feel like I am just treading water.... just barely keeping up with things.... perhaps if I push especially hard today and on Thursday, I can inch a bit ahead so I can feel more relaxed.  

I needed to bring a few brads, nails, and other fasteners with me to the U today, because I am going to work on some of the mazes I have to fix some loosening parts.  So, I brought my "odds-and-ends" can from my garage workbench at home, which is filled all the various loose nails, screws, etc that are collected from various projects over the years.  My can happens to be an old can I had (of many) that originally housed a one-pound batch of Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco.  I have many of these empty cans and many empty cans of Prince Albert as well that I use for various things.  The nuts-and-bolts Sir Walter Raleigh can is sitting here on my desk as I work.  It brings back very, very fond memories.  Not only was it my father's favorite, it was the first pipe tobacco I ever had, and reminded me of when I was a kid.  Both Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert have been favorites of mine of the simpler, pharmacy pipe tobaccos my whole life.  

Wish me luck for today.  I hope it will be a good day.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I always liked the smell of pipe tobacco smoke..

Wednesday, 24 March, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

(Grin) Me too!

PipeTobacco

Wednesday, 24 March, 2021  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

TMJ can be a bear!
Reading about the tobacco cans reminded me of an old pre teen joke. Someone would pick a number at random from the phone book, and then someone else would call the number.
When the party answered and said hello, the response was "do you have Sir Walter Raleigh in a can?" If the answer was yes, the reply was "You better let him out."
When it was my turn, I never got a pipe smoker. One day I reasoned we'd have better luck if we called a drug store, or pool hall. Remember pool halls?

Wednesday, 24 March, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am just thinking that I haven't seen someone with a pipe for many decades. As I have told you once before, I tried, briefly, a very very long time ago, but couldn't keep the thing lit. It is probably a very good thing. :)

Thursday, 25 March, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

The pipe is a hobby/lifestyle(?) that requires a fair amount of training and acclimation versus say, a cigarette whose smoke you learn to inhale and therefore get addicted to. A cigar involves proper lighting and then occasional draws(but not inhale) to keep it lit. When I started up the pipe, my husband got concerned it would lead to actual smoking. Nope. Too much futzing and fudging involved. And I'm too lazy and impatient for that. Gotta be in the right mood to light up a pipe. Or at least -I- do.

Thursday, 25 March, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home