The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 06, 2021

Watermelon Salad


 

Lots of little things (my mind is not feeling cohesive enough to try to "build" a more paragraph style of writing today):

  • Ran 10.4 miles (~17km) this morning starting at 4:55am.  It was already 75 degrees and humid, so I ran in "Sasquatch Mode".  So that means I have ran 24.5 miles (~40km) in just two days. 
  •  
  • Ordered from Amazon some replacement webbing for two folding lawn chairs we have and like.  Each one has at least one web to replace as they are starting to separate.  Technically, I *should* probably do a FULL rewebbing on each of them.... but I am thinking I am going to experiment and see what the result is like if I just replace the damaged webs only.  It is far less time consuming to do it this way.  Of course, the replacement webbing does not match the original.... but in some ways I kind of find that rather fun, just to show their (considerable) age.  The webbing I found is in the same basic color (blue), but the shade of the color is considerably different (brighter) as is the striping pattern (larger).
  •  
  • I have been making watermelon salad several times the last few days.  I have used mint grown from my garden.  My rendering of watermelon salad has watermelon, pepper, onion, lime juice, mint, and sometimes feta cheese.  

  • I have been watching more episodes of Mannix on MeTV.  I so very much enjoy that show.  It is rather humorous that I have noticed that the main character (Joe Mannix, played by Mike Conners) wears sports coats, jackets, ties, etc in his role that are awfully damn similar to what I normally wear myself when teaching.  Lots of tweeds, corduroy, ect.  I have been pointing out to my wife when Mannix is wearing something similar to what I have.  This show ran from 1968-1975.  I also have to admit, besides the great story writing, and the excellent plots, I very much enjoy the theme music (especially the tympani part).... and because of the age of the show, there are many folks who are smoking various tobacco products (including pipes) in the scenes. It is so very rare to see anyone smoking in real life in my region anymore.  

I guess that is all my brain is holding at the moment.

 PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Glad you're enjoying some 70s retro TV, but if you are enjoying Mannix I should urge you NOT to watch another 70s standby -- Cannon -- unless you are SURE you want to experiment with your recent pipe-excitement and long-standing PCS. Enjoy your salad, kind sir!

Tuesday, 06 July, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hah! I have over the last couple of years watched ALL the episodes of Cannon.... probably most of them twice. They are wonderful! Such good memories. Actually, watching Cannon was what piqued my interest in Mannix..... Mannix is on the schedule just ahead of Cannon (or was, it recently changed).... and so the way the DVR would record Cannon for me.... it would have the last minute or two of the ending Mannix episode..... including that amazing tympani solo in the theme. Then I watched a few episodes and remembered how damn good Mannix was too.

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 06 July, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am not much of a watermelon guy, but I do purchase it for Sue on occasion.

Tuesday, 06 July, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

I don't like melon, although I wish I did. I loved Mannix and many of those old detective series.

Tuesday, 06 July, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home