The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Veterinarian Vegetarian Vitality

 

After writing about the annoying politicization of the CDC yesterday, I was taking my pooch to the veterinarian so that her stitches could be removed (actually, I could have easily done this myself, as I have sutured and removed sutures from a helluva lot of rodents over the years, but I wanted the veterinarian to examine her healing as well).  She did very well, and the veterinarian confirmed that she has healed wonderfully from the procedure.  

While I was driving to the veterinarian, however, a story came on NPR where several folks were interviewed about the idiotic CDC change in halving the quarantine period.   As could be expected, logic-minded folks (the doctor and nurse interviewed) were disappointed and suggested this was an unwise and scientifically unsupported change. Whereas (of course) the business folks and another person (a coffee barista, if I recall correctly) were saying this was "great news" and was "sure to help the economy" and all the "stranded" folks (referencing the airline staff that caught Covid and their quarantine caused a bottleneck in some rich folks plans).  The business folks and barista were just spewing the standard balderdash, per usual.  

I sincerely do not think the damn pandemic will ever get under control because of the sheer lack of focus or understanding of science.  Biden's politicized CDC is just as useless as was Trump's.

* * * * *

Last night on the menu, was eating "left overs" of a sort.  When we make crock-pot dishes, it is typically that we do not eat the entire amount in one sitting.  With whatever is left over, I will typically package up generous, single-serving size portions of these leftovers and then freeze them.  I relish being able to simply pull out one of these dishes at will for a quicker dinner (we still need to make salad, vegetables, etc. of course).  My pick was a dish I have affectionately termed "Feta Lentil Yum!".    It is a hearty, stew-like concoction, made from whole lentils (we use 1/2 whole lentils and 1/2 mung beans), various vegetables, a delightful mix of Indian and Ethiopian-typical spices, and as the name suggests, some Feta cheese.  It is beautifully hearty, warm, inviting, and filling. And, it is wonderful with the "yellow rice and wheat-berry" concoction I make.   My wife unfortunately wasn't in the mood (she sometimes goes with her "cravings" and will eat junk-food instead.... causing her glucose to spiral upward).  Even though it is frustrating and I do not know what to do about it, she had her glucose spiral above 400 by 9:30. She then basically falls asleep.

* * * * * 

When my wife does this, which is far, far too often, I am at a loss on what to do.  She KNOWS what to do in terms of eating.  She KNOWS she has been doing this far too long, and the repercussions are unfortunately readily apparent in her older sister.  She also knows that when she goes into the glucose stratosphere it basically ends our evening together as she cannot stay awake.  We have argued about this many times over the years.  She has devised an uncountable number of plans to do what she needs to regain an ability to regulate glucose.  She has Type 2 Diabetes.  If she were to work on the following, she could still reverse damn near everything:

1.  Make a change in her BMI.

2.  Portion control.

3.  Regular, consistent, aerobic exercise.

4.  Consistent, large quantity fluid (water) intake.

5.  Working on emotions.

The above five items if followed consistently for a year, would completely rejuvinate her body cell's insulin sensitivity.... or AT LEAST make very significant headway into this process.  She would feel considerably more vitality if she were to try for this consistency for even just a few months.  

Over the many years my wife has been trying to get control over her health, she has started a "plan" hundreds of times.  But, I do not believe she has ever stayed consistent with the above 5 items that are needed... for more than two weeks before going off the rails and basically saying (by actions) "to hell with it".  Nine times out of ten her throwing in the towel involves some sort of frustration or challenge she had with one of her siblings or perhaps with someone at work.  Usually when she goes off the rails, she will then splurge on something the exact polar opposite of what will be helpful to eat..... usually something very fatty and greasy.

This was not where I had been planning to go with my writing today, but it is where my fingers took me as I tried to spit out my thoughts this early part of the morning.  

* * * * *

Still having no luck with recalling dreams.  I wish I could understand how to turn my memory back on about them.  I have been spending a bit of time perusing some pipe maker's online offerings.  So many beautiful pipes.  Not that I need ANY additional pipes, as I have an abundance of them.  I have been carrying around a different pipe with me every day thus far during break.  It feels so comfortable to do so.  

* * * * *

When I was looking for a letter "V" to top this post, I was surprised to learn that apparently there is some young K-Pop star who goes by "V" because when I looked for images of this letter, the first hundred or so rows of images were of this pop fellow.  

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

I have to say, Professor...Worship of capitalism and materialism is baked into our culture...it comes even before public safety and overrides every other decision. As exhibit A, I present the new version of the 737 that experienced more than a couple crashes across the world a few years back ...apparently, safety regs were glossed over in favor getting that model out and taking the orders.
I'm all for being financially successful but it's really depressing when cutting corners is actually encouraged by upper management. Exhibit B...Also airline related (I'm a flight attendant for one) My airline merged with another...and upper management was so HOT to get the new routes, they had no plans in place for a smooth, streamlined transition. Planes were going out with no meals, not being cleaned, insufficient service materials, lapsed hotel bookings for aircrew...It was an unnecessary fiasco and it caused a lot of chaos...but then management sheepishly admitted later that, yeah, shucks, they could have planned better...but hey, at least the shareholders' earnings were in the black. Okay, Professor. Rant over. Love your blog. Fire up a pipe, already.

Best...Gary

Thursday, 30 December, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

We have really seen how little health and safety are valued over money. This pandemic has made it crystal clear. Your wife's eating choices sound dangerous for a diabetic. 400? That's awfully high. My mom is diabetic as was my aunt and 3 of my grandparents. So, I'm careful about my diet (not perfect!) and try to exercise as much as possible(not like you though!); I'm hoping to avoid it.

Thursday, 30 December, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

People who don't think and act like we do frustrate us. I try to tell myself that no one has a real choice (I don't believe we have free will in that sense.) But it doesn't help all that much because we have to live and put up with the results .

Friday, 31 December, 2021  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Good news about pooch. I have never heard of V either. Shall have to look him up.

AS for your wife, I do feel for her as I turn to junk food for comfort too. And I know how hard it is to resist. That said you have done amazingly well with your pipes.

Friday, 31 December, 2021  
Blogger Forsythia said...

I believe you can get addicted to sugar, because I think I used to addicted. I was often anxious about where my next "hit" would come from. One blessing of this chronic lung disease I have--it has blotted out my craving for sugar completely.

Friday, 31 December, 2021  
Blogger austere said...

400 PPBS?
Seriously?

I had a 165 reading, has been 15 years of metformin... I went ballistic...


She doesn't walk ?

Sunday, 02 January, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home