The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 03, 2022

Sin Apes ~ Synapse


 

My mind naturally engages in word corruptions and associations with regularity and with glee.  I am always very cognizant of trying to have strong, precise diction in how I speak, so that students can hear and understand the myriad of scientific terms that are uncommon in their vernacular.  And, when words have alternative, common pronunciations, I try to highlight how these words may also be heard in multiple ways.  

In my morning lecture today, I was trying to engage students into seeing the inherent beauty of the two major forms of synapes that are displayed by neurons within the nervous system.  The far more abundant and more well known CHEMICAL synapses that involve communication between cells via the release of neurotransmitter signals were what I described first.  Then I started to talk about the much less common, but still incredibly valuable ELECTRICAL synapses governing several "primitive" autonomic behavioral responses associated with evolutionary success of a species.  For this part of the lecture I showed images of the Giant Squid Axon that is used in propulsive escape behaviors by squid and talked about how electrical synapses allow for considerably more rapid communication of signals allowing a faster escape response.  

When I was driving in my trusty old steed to the U this morning (on extremely icy, treacherous roads), I let my mind wander where it willed as I reviewed ideas about synapses.  I began to parse the word "synapse" into visual groupings (not based on their Latin/Greek origins), by how the word could conceivably be mispronounced.  I came up with "Sin" and "Apes" which caused me to chuckle a bit thinking about a large number of "sinful" but perhaps rather enjoyable activities that human and also non-human "apes" might select to engage in.  

* * * * * 

With the relatively large snowfall (total topped at roughly 8 inches (~20cm), the powers-that-be at the U finally decided to close campus (at 3pm, which didn't do me a damn bit of good... I was finished with lectures by that time).  Most of my classes yesterday were sparsely attended (perhaps ~70% of normal).  The sidewalks to the lecture halls were awful, and I presume the walkways to the dorms were likely even more treacherous.  For the off-campus and commuter students... the roads were absolutely horrendous.  The roads were ALREADY quite slick when I went to the U in the very early morning.... but by the time some of the students came for my later morning class, they were complaining about how difficult and dangerous it was.  The "powers-that-be" at the U were foolish, and should have simply cancelled classes for the whole day.... like virtually every other educational institution did in the region.  

I ended up going home when campus closed at 3... but I had already previously scheduled some important appointments with students. I wrote to each of them saying that if they would still like to meet, that we "could potentially" meet via Zoom.  I was sort of hoping each of them, or at least SOME of them would say.... "Nah, we can meet another day!" but....  all of them....  wanted to meet with me via Zoom.  So, I ended up "Zooming" with folks for a few more hours.  

By 6pm, though, I was "done" enough with U related work that I could begin to dig us out and clear the driveway of snow.  The very bottom layer of precipitation was originally rain that turned to ice.  Above that was a layer of heavy, damp snow.  On top of the heavy, damp snow was a sizable layer of dryer...  light & fluffy snow.  I spent a good hour shoveling the needed areas clear enough so that I could THEN BEGIN to use the snowblower on the main part of the driveway.  The different textures of snow/ice made the process slower than I would have liked.  But I did get the damn driveway, sidewalks, and porches cleared.  Overnight, about 1/2 inch of additional snow fell.... not enough to worry about..... but it did make the shoveling work I did yesterday look cleaner. :)

* * * * * 

I was so tired, probably by the shoveling/snowblowing, that I overslept through my alarm and got up later than I would have wanted to this morning.  Because of my late start, I could only get 7 (~11km) miles in of my run this morning.  That means I have to gear myself up to try to put in another 5 miles (~8 km) or so TONIGHT when I get home in order to stay on track for my weekly goal.  The idea of running late in the day is not appealing to me.  

* * * * *

I have been thinking A LOT about my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  Hell, actually I think about them "a lot" under normal circumstances day-to-day. But, what I mean now, is, that I am purposefully trying to reason through and consider what my next step(s) may be.  The thoughts of what I could do swirl around in every direction and in every fashion.  Here are just a few ideas that have surfaced:

  • I very much know that I am a pipe smoker by my nature.  I have always been interested and curious about them EVEN BEFORE I surreptitiously snuck (this word is apparently now considered "ok" in U.S. English, but you could substitute "sneaked" instead for those outside of the U.S.) out back with one of my father's pipes when I was a little kid.  
  • I will always be a pipe smoker.  I do not think there is a way to extract that from my being.
  • The question however, is "Am I going to going to be a pipe smoker who is not indulging?" or "Am I going to be a pipe smoker who smokes a pipe?" 
  • I always would LIKE to be smoking a pipe.  Other than the relatively infrequent occasions where I am NOT thinking about pipes and pipe tobaccos..... I always have a desire to smoke a pipe, and have an appreciation of their beauty, charms, and joys.   

So.... the only definitive thus far is that I am... and will always be.... a pipe smoker.  From that point, the directions become more murky.  It is this murkiness I have to dissect and work through.  

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Ah, Professor! There's the rub! Maybe this is where your priests' guidance will help you fill in the missing bits of the puzzle. Are you your authentic self while abstaining, or are you just being willful in choosing to endure cravings that a pipe would dispel? Only you know the answer.

Would King Kong be one of the "Sin Apes"? Maybe Dr. Zaius from Planet of the Apes?

It's too bad that you don't have a metric by which you can translate your snow-shoveling effort to "equivalent miles run." Maybe such a metric would make your "only" 11km look a lot better?

Thursday, 03 February, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

You can be a pipe smoker without being an active one. The memories you have of the activity are precious but how well will pipe smoking translate into your current mindset, in other words, will it be a let down or guilt inducing step backward? Those roads sound awful and so does the condition of the snow. There are too many types and they all behave differently! I'm happy not to have any here.

Thursday, 03 February, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There’s a lot here, but I will just talk about snow, We didn’t get as much as you but enough to bring out the plows yesterday. I see that we got a bit more last night but not enough to bring out the plows. By plows for now I mean the ones that do our driveways, not the town’s street and sidewalk plows, which have been and will be out.

Friday, 04 February, 2022  
Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

Do you get enough snow to warrant a snowblower? Sounds like you got a real blast this time.

Saturday, 05 February, 2022  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I am very hard of hearing and wear hearing aids in both ears. Im convinced i could hear kust fine if people would enunciate clearly. and slowly...sigh*

Saturday, 05 February, 2022  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I was telling a friend about you recently. Her partner, after not using for eight months, picked up cannabis again last week. She described her frustration because it doesn't help him. He thinks it makes him calmer but she sees the other effects including paranoia. I was likening your 'I'll always be a pipe smoker' to his addiction and wondering is he could acknowledge that without indulging, as you do.

Sunday, 06 February, 2022  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Pipe smoking may have all sorts of effects, but I don't think paranoia is one of them. Maybe, at most, it fosters for our Professor the infamous "Catholic guilt" -- but that seems to come up for him while abstaining as much as while smoking.

And I think it is safe to say that indulging in cannabis is almost entirely about ingesting cannabinoids, while pipe smoking is as much about the aesthetics and the ritual as it is about ingesting nicotine. Maybe that psychological/aesthetic component actually makes it a more powerful addiction than any addiction to cannabis -- indeed, we've seen that our Professor hasn't found himself drawn to cigarettes or gum or patches for nicotine delivery -- he is drawn to pipes very particularly. By comparison, I've noticed that cannabis-lovers will take their preferred intoxicant in brownies, bongs, joints, or whatever gets the drug into their system.

We could have an entire separate discussion about the healthiness of different types of pipe tobacco -- some types that are as gunked up with chemicals and additives as any cigarette, vs. other types that are so pure that they are almost "health foods." But I would be hesitant to draw too close a parallel between the factors behind pipe smoking and cannabis consumption.

Sunday, 06 February, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home