The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Rancor


I am tired of the rancor that seems to be a permanent part of modern society.  Everything, everywhere feels like it involves folks grumpily "taking a stand" on something or other.  It just feels tiring and.... FOR MANY things.... irrelevant.  

  • 13.1 miles (~21 km) this morning.  I was not feeling like running when I got up, but I forced myself to get my feet to the pavement.  It was very densely foggy this morning, which made for a more interesting run, however.  Yet, due to the fog, and my initial lack of enthusiasm, I decided to run the small pattern (~2 miles) again and again, so I would a) not have to worry as much about what was ahead of me (the fog was VERY dense) and b) I did not feel much like focusing or thinking about where I was going.  As is my typical, the Capuchin Mass from yesterday and my praying of the Rosary accompanied me on my foggy running journey.
  • I am bound and determined to get a whole helluva lot of paper-work issues ready for my Fall courses today.  I have a goal to be DONE with the set-up of ALL my classes so I can start off on the right foot without having to scramble with things.  Four of the five courses ARE all done, but this last one, my embryology lab is stubborn.... I (perhaps stupidly) decided to "revamp" some of the lab materials, and this unfortunately adds many layers of nit-picky minutia I have to be sure to adjust, fix, and develop.  It DOES NOT feel it is worth it at the moment, and I wish I would have just left well enough alone..... BUT..... I do know that IF I get this revamping done, it will be a MUCH NICER experience for this furry-faced professor AND for the students as well.
  • I am in the last stages of the "revamp" of my one research lab.  I was a bit way-laid for a week or so, so I still have some things to accomplish.  Again, it is the annoying nitty-gritty minutia that is left.... running cords and re-hooking up machinery and gizmos to power, making sure the lists of where items are held/stored/available in the "Lab Directory" book is updated, that sort of minutia..... which are not my favorite tasks.... are primarily what is left. 

PCS = 7.5.... it feels like my urge to smoke my pipe has increased.  I am hesitant to label it an "8" today, but it does feel like it is inching in that direction.  The "apple pipe" dream I had was such a pleasant memory of a rather whimsical time.... a time of just being "silly" and "carefree".  I am thinking I am missing that FEELING of being "carefree" that had been such a part of many days, especially in the past... and in so many of those memories of "carefreeness" I can also recall the beautiful, soothing, pleasant enjoyment of smoking my pipes as well.  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, in your writing here I would say you come across much more as "diligent" than as "carefree." You spend a lot of diligent effort maintaining your status as a not-smoking pipe smoker. So, I wonder: Would you indeed have a more carefree life if you went back to your pipes? Or would returning release additional "diligent effort" energy you could spend on other efforts, so that pipe smoking would be a "carefree" pastime as you pursued other efforts with all the diligence at your command?

Thursday, 18 August, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

The pressures of prepping for school could drive up your pipe scores. Rancor and anger seem to define so many people these days. It's nearly impossible to have a civil conversation with anyone with differing opinions.

Thursday, 18 August, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Five different courses seems like an awful lot.

Friday, 19 August, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home