The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Errata


 

Latin, for "error" is the title of this post.  The selection of this name shall become evident below:

  • My SIL was released from the hospital last evening, and returned home.  She was very happy.  We all were.  EXCEPT, other than a few minor medication adjustments (mostly for her diabetes), not a whole helluva lot else was said or prescribed or done (according to my SIL & BIL).  
  • This is frustrating as what my SIL NEEDS is a holisitic overview and PLAN for how to treat and how to commit to lifestyle adjustments that can have the potential to better regulate her myriad of conditions (diabetes, vision decline, kidney decline, congestive heart failure.... plus longer term challenges she has had with neuropathies, replacement knee joints that are wearing out, and mild depression/anxiety).  
  • Health care in the US is atrocious in so many regards..... of course the damnable costs of said care is at the top (when nearly every other industrialized nation has NATIONAL HEALTH CARE FOR ALL), but the care that is provided is so damn piecemeal as well and there NEVER seems to be any sort of overview and overall plans for a whole helluva lot of folks on how to treat, manage, and potentially improve their health outcomes.  
  • Some of the issue MAY be that because neither my SIL nor my BIL are science-focused people.... that they may not "hear" or "get" what the clinicians may be saying/suggesting.  But, hell, most folks in the world ARE NOT science-focused folks.  Clinicians need to do a helluva lot better job of instructing and guiding ALL patients and need to be able to bring knowledge to their patients at their LEVEL of understanding and with an emphasis on TEACHING patients how to help themselves.  
  • With my science background, I know and understand the POSSIBILITIES of how each of my SIL's could be addressed and handled.  And, I COULD offer advice.  But.... I am not her clinician(s) and therefore am not privy to the precise details/tests/results that are specific to her conditions.... and therefore, I can only really talk about the broad range of POSSIBLE outcomes and POSSIBLE options on how to deal/cope/potentially improve her condition.  I do not have the needed information to legitimately construct a treatment plan.  
  • I am trying to encourage my wife to see if my SIL will allow her to go with her to her "follow-up" visit with her primary care physician.... so my wife (who is science-focused) CAN ask the right questions, and CAN coax the clinician towards offering a holistic plan of action for my SIL.  We shall see if that happens.  

+ + + + + 

  • Another 11 miles (~16 km) this morning.  Glad it is done for the day, although I wish I had had a bit  more time to get a few more miles in to be a bit ahead for the week.  But, I ran out of time and had to get to the U.
  • In response to AC.... I believe the hospital may have had actual BEDS available.... I suspect the real issue was that they have closed a wing or two of the hospital due to the severe nurse shortages being faced by hospital across the nation.  So, I probably should have stated that she could not get a bed due to the staff shortages.  
  • In response to Margaret.... I am not sure if the change in my "consistency focus and planning" with regards to the pipe is an indication of as you suggest a "realizing it is in the past" or more of a "just tired of TRYING to figure out a way" to "safely" engage with my pipes again in a more limited way I could "control".  To be honest, I am thinking my mindset is such right now that if I were to "fall off the wagon" so-to-speak, in my current mood.... I believe I would simply end up going back to unfettered indulgence. That is a bit why I am feeling some trepidation in my current mindset.  I do not seem to want to spend thee time to  "figure out" a way to potentially and occasionally indulge anymore.... but the desire to smoke my pipes DOES remain.. 
  • PCS = 7.... a bit stronger than yesterday.  A gnawing desire is in the back of my mind.
PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh dear, you do seem to be in a season of difficulty. I think when confronted with a doctor most of us go a bit blank and inevitably focus on one thing the doctor says be that positive or negative. It's hard to think of questions unless you've prepped beforehand and have written them down. I hope your wife is able to help SIL.

Wednesday, 12 October, 2022  
Blogger Pam J. said...

I agree that a holistic plan of attack is the way to go. One big problem, I think, is that diet and exercise are very, very hard to change in a lot of people. It can be done of course, but it's hard.

Wednesday, 12 October, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I've found that communication between various medical entities/clinicians is rare or non-existent. It's caused me much grief when my husband and father had cancer and when my mother was dealing with shortness of breath. She was told different things by each doctor she went to. In the end, it's been improving because the diuretic finally started working. She's 90 and many of her health issues are because of that; she takes very good care of her diabetes and eats extremely healthy meals. I don't know how old your SIL is, but many longtime habits are very hard to change.

Wednesday, 12 October, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have never studied Latin and always assumed that it meant something like extraneous or additional material. Never assume, eh? 😀

Thursday, 13 October, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home