The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, September 19, 2022

Run


 

In a big picture way, it doesn't mean a whole helluva lot, but I did accomplish a goal of sorts this past Friday... I "Ran the Year" meaning on this past Friday I completed running 2,022 miles (~3,254 km... although it does not seem as exciting a number in kilometers) in 2022. 

To get to where I am at, it means I ran an average of 55 miles (~89 km) every week so far this year.  I am hoping to potentially reach 3,000 miles (4,828 km) by the end of the year if I can muster it.  

+ + + 

My MIL had a pretty good weekend this past weekend.  She willingly became involved in a few activities.  So, we are hopeful.  Taking a shower was still quite a struggle, however, as she was quite resistant.  We are hoping for that to improve as well.  

+ + + 

PCS - 7.... On Saturday, I had a long drive (a few hours) to a meeting for one of the science societies I belong to as I am on their Executive Board.  En route there and home, I would be passing nearby an exit where with a short 15 minute drive, I would be able to be at a quite special and nice pipe shop that I have always relished but its considerable distance had limited my visiting said establishment to perhaps once a year or so.  I took a pipe and pouch and lighter with me on my trip the Executive Board meeting thinking that perhaps.... just perhaps I could  without much risk or worry, stop by this beautiful, distant shop and indulge in a bowl of beloved pipe tobacco in congenial like company.  With its shear distance, I know that I could not develop a "habit" of going there to smoke a pipe excessively.  So, I thought it might be quite a lot of fun.  The only risk I could see (still an important risk to consider) was what if it felt so wonderful at the shop that I simply said "to hell with it".  With the hope that I *would not* do that, I still brought a very stylish pipe, and a pouch that was pleasantly chubby with a very beautiful leaf.... just in case.  Sadly, the beautiful foray turned out to be unworkable and unmanageable, for the damnable Executive Board Meeting went far longer than needed, and by the time I approached the exit to this commercial Nirvana, even if I broke the law with considerable speeding.... at best I would get perhaps 10 minutes.... 15 minutes maximum to rush into the store, etc.  It just did not seem like it would promote the blissfulness I had in mind.  

I have been listening to Lee Morgan when I have had time in my office today (basically I have stayed glued to my office computer except when I was lecturing in class).  One song I was not previously familiar with was song "Soft Touch".  It is wonderful. I need to listen to more Morgan.  I only have a limited background into his music.  

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Perhaps it was a good thing that the meeting ran late? You seem to be inching closer to enjoying your pipes again. (which I don't think is an entirely bad thing)

Monday, 19 September, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Got your note about the Canadian view of the monarchy. I may post something in due course, but I have a few irons in the blogging fire right now.

Tuesday, 20 September, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home