The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 30, 2023

Illness - Struggles

Unfortunately, two Fridays ago... when I had plans to work like a dog all day to get a lot done, did not fully pan out to be.  By early afternoon, I started to feel rather nauseous.  I went home.  By that evening I had a substantial fever.  

I slept all day Saturday.  Because of the nausea, I did not eat anything after breakfast on Friday.

Sunday, I was utterly wiped out from this illness.  It was what I would guess is some sort of  "flu-like" thing.  But, fortunately, Sunday I no longer had a fever nor nausea, just exhaustion.  Because I no longer had a fever, I ended up going to LATE Sunday Mass (6:30pm) and wore a mask.  I was nervous about the nausea returning, so I did not eat.... but did consume a huge amount of water and other fluids (aka coffee). 

Monday, I still felt utterly exhausted, but needed to get some damn running miles in otherwise I would never keep the goal of 50 miles a week.  I struggled through and ran only 7 miles (~11 km).  It was all I could muster to get done.  I was wiped out.  At work, I was lethargic and doing the minimum I could to get through the day.  I left the U immediately after my last class.   I sent an e-mail to my conductor at the band telling him I could not come to rehearsal that evening.   I gingerly ate a small meal that evening. 

Tuesday, I was still tired, but I could "sense" I was getting my "old-self" back in some fashion.... meaning, I WAS getting through whatever this damn thing was.  I was able to have a bit more energy with my lectures, and although I was still tired as hell, I forced myself to run 11 miles (~18 km) so I could HOPEFULLY still get to  my 50 mile (~81 km) goal by the end of the week.  

Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday.... I finally felt back to normal, but because of my sloth-like ways and my giving the other needed work I should have accomplished during the weekend and early week (grading papers, writing exams, writing research applications, submitting a renewal application for  a research proposal still in progress), I ended up having to work extended hours at the U and at home those days to try to catch up.  

Saturday, I finally DID accomplish my 50th mile for the damn hard week.  I was relieved I also finished my last exam for next week.  I was relieved.... I am basically caught back up to where I should be.

Sunday, I rested, and my wife and I also went swimming in the afternoon.  It was (sadly) the fifth anniversary of my Father-In-Law's passing.  My wife and I talked a lot about him, and our memories of him, and how we missed him. 

Hopefully this week will be more typical.

PipeTobacco 

4 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

"sloth-like"? Professor...I wish I had half your energy. At any rate, maybe it's your body trying to tell you something?

Monday, 30 January, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm happy you're better but you accomplish more sick than most of us do healthy!

Monday, 30 January, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Nothing seems to keep you down for long. I have noticed your absence, however.

Monday, 30 January, 2023  
Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

Glad you recovered quickly from whatever it was.

Monday, 30 January, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home