The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Reference


 

The last few days have led me to feel a bit of melancholy.  As you may recall, in the last ~2 years there have been a number of deaths of close friends & colleagues in my Department and in a few close friends in other areas of the U (causes of deaths varied.... suicides, heart attacks, strokes,).  

People not regularly in academy may not realize this, but the death of a professor/mentor/advisor will often have some rather long-lasting impact on not only family and friends, but on students.  When my one most recent friend passed, he left behind a few research students, and also had a small cadre of students who had recently graduated and were trying to continue on in their career journey.  For the current research students, it is (of course) traumatic... but it is often possible to help them by having them switch labs and sometimes even emphases of their work while still at the U.  I absorbed many of these students for my friend.  But, for the recent graduate, this death can be PROFOUNDLY traumatic, as my friend was these students mentor/advisor.... these student's next steps are typically paved by a myriad of applications to institutions and need to be accompanied by LETTERS of recommendation and/or DIRECT verbal communication between the mentor/advisor and the place the students are attempting to move to.  

Unfortunately,  my friend's death has left two of his graduated students in this sort of lurch.  I am attempting to be these two student's mentor by proxy.  In the last few days I have had to write a letter outlining my friend's passing in a letter of recommendation for one of these students, and I have had a phone discussion with a destination institution for both of these students.  I am relatively capable of outlining my friend's work and his students are appreciative, although I know I am not adept at trying to portray the nuances of his work.  And, I hope my by proxy status and efforts will HELP these students on their journey. But, it is also disorienting and disheartening to vividly re-live the death of my friend in order to supply enough detail and credence to the letter I wrote and to the conversations I have had with these institutions. 

* * * * *

PCS = 8.5 ... the pull towards the pipe is very strong today, the desire to indulge also very strong today, the wish to quell my mind with the saturation of it with smoke of a heavy, intensive pipe tobacco is immense.   

Ran 10.0 miles (~16km).  My legs (especially the "hamstrings") were extremely tight afterwards today.  I tried to double the length of time of all my stretches afterwards.... and specifically tripled the length of time stretching the "hamstrings".  I hope it helps. 

My wife and I did go swimming yesterday.  It was very helpful.  We are HOPING to go again today... if possible.  

I unfortunately have a Parish Council Meeting tonight.  I truthfully do not want to go.  From the agenda, it sounds like all the REAL work could be accomplished in the form of a simple e-mail.  Yet, sadly folks will likely yammer for a good 2.5 hours.  I likely will not be home until 10:00pm.  (heavy sigh)

PipeTobacco



5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My MA thesis advisor died a month after I earned my MA. I've often wondered how differently my life would have gone if he had lived for a few years longer. You're doing a good and kind thing by being there for your friend's students, Professor!

For what it's worth, when I first met my advisor one of the first things he told me was that he couldn't tolerate being around cigarette smoke. How surprised I was, not long afterward, when I found that he had taken up pipe smoking and enjoyed it immensely. The pull you are feeling is neither wrong nor undesirable, and if you don't give in I hope it at least helps you remember a connection to good and happy things gone by -- like having an excuse for stepping out of the Parish Council briefly to enjoy a pipe.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I am sure your help is much appreciated by the students.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

In addition to being reminded of your loss, it is the. SAD time of year, so that may have something to do with it. And if anything, you may also a be bit over-worked. You certainly seem to have a lot on your plate anyway.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Trauma sure can have effect on ones life. I wonder why us human, ask what if though our life.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Wednesday, 18 January, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

Advisors to PhD students are at many times the most important people in their lives and definitely for their future careers. I applaud you for stepping in for your late friend. My older daughter had to switch advisors due to some awful behavior from her original one; I will always be grateful to the UCLA professor who was willing to take on even more work on my daughter's behalf.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home