The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 24, 2023

Hmm


 

I have been gone for a while.  I have been just too damn busy for words.  There has been a veritable sh*tl**d of things going on.... occasionally good things, a lot of just treading water things where I am trying to keep from drowning in work, and a few unpleasant things.  So.... just a lot of the same stuff.... just intensified.... sort of like the difference between if a normal workweek and life is represented by a pebble and yet, I feel as if for the last ~8 weeks or so, my workweek and life is better represented by a gargantuan boulder. 

But, I do not want to try to rehash all that I have been doing and going through in this effort.  I am sure over the next few days, I will allude to some of the highlights.  

It was not until Sunday morning, that I had some semblance of self again.  I did not feel like a robot only doing tasks in order to keep the machines running and not cause a fatal error.  

Sunday morning, my wife and I spent the late morning watching "Soylent Green" which happens to be one of my favorite science fiction films of all time.  It is the vein of what folks now call "dystopian" fiction.  Edward G. Robinson was exceptional in this film, which happened to be his last work, as he died the same year the film was released, 1973. The link above is to the official trailer of this film.  My wife had never seen the film before.

I also had a little bit of additional time this morning, as my embryology class was not scheduled to meet.  So, this gave me enough time so I could hoof out a half marathon (13.1 miles; ~21km).  It feels so much more relaxing to be a bit ahead in my mileage rather than just meeting the minimum to hit 50 miles (~81 km) total by the end of the week.  

PCS - 9.  Ever since I found my missing sheep... my beloved Butz-Choquin Ultima Dublin pipe, I have been rather obsessed with it.  I have been keeping it in my coat or sport jacket pocket wherever I go.  I have even taken a few moments of video where I hold the pipe comfortably in my chompers so I can watch it, and imaging I am smoking it.  If I ever find a way to get to a good, old-fashioned pipe tobacco shop the next time I get to travel... I know I am going bring the Ultima.  I keep imagining myself just opening up the can of Three Star Blue I bought at Iwan Reis, and enjoying a bowlful in my backyard.  It is tempting, and I think about it every evening as I go to sleep at night.  Yet, I know it would lead to a torrent of excuses for me to do so again, and again. And we know where that would lead.

PipeTobacco 


3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I'm glad that you have more of your life back and can do some activities that you enjoy. My late husband loved that movie although I'm not sure I've ever seen it. He would often watch a film or TV while I would read, my preferred way to unwind.

Monday, 24 April, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Are you getting to aa position in your job where you can take on a somewhat reduced workload?

Tuesday, 25 April, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I love the way you 'hoof out half marathon'!

Tuesday, 25 April, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home