The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, June 16, 2023

Argh!

The "too much to do, and not enough time to do it" feeling I have been having all week has crested to the point where I feel tremendous anxiety.  All I can do is keep trying.... keep persevering and hope that it all gets done.  

  • I went to work at 7:00am this morning.  I needed to do a run of ~10 miles (~16 km) to complete the week.  But.... the air quality turned bad again in my region.... there was a nearly palpable orangeish haze from the wildfires in Canada.  I felt hesitant to run outdoors as it is not advised when the air quality is so low.  So I came in to do more of the work I need.
  • Hopefully..... hopefully, I will find enough time to put in the needed 10 miles on the indoor track.  Otherwise I will have to find time to try to do it tomorrow.... and from all weather suggestions, I will probably have to do so INSIDE then as well.    But, my body needs the two day, weekend break from big mile running (big for me, anyhow) if at all possible.  
  • I foresee only a weekend of non-stop work of various sorts.  It exhausts me to try to look at the "big picture" of the next several days.  So, I am trying to avoid doing so and am trying to stay focused on what I am doing at the moment.  

Nothing else to add, I need to get back to work.  I miss relaxed, casual time.  I miss having time that is unstructured.  I miss feeling carefree.  And, I miss my pipes.

PipeTobacco
 

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have been thinking about this. Is it not possible to reduce your distance when time is so tight, like maybe to half? It almost seems as though you are bound to the distance. I understand how important running is to you, but I don't see why you couldn't reduce your distance and, therefore, your time for a little while. Surely, your conditioning level wouldn't exactly fall apart if you compromised for a short time?

So, that is me butting my nose into it -- again. 🤪

Friday, 16 June, 2023  
Blogger Pat M. said...

big mile running (big for me, anyhow)

Just look at how easily you put yourself down, Professor. Running 50 miles per week is pretty intense, even for serious track and field competitors, some of whom would say that running 50 miles a week is TOO MUCH when all the various factors are considered of how running affects the human body.

The CDC recommends that adults get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity each week for optimum health. Maybe what you can do next year (now that you've taken your vows for this year) is to round that number up a bit -- let's say to 180 minutes -- and then divide that by days running, so that instead of aiming for 50 or more miles of running you simply see how many miles you can run in six sessions of 30 minutes or five of 36 minutes. Trying to maximize your miles would still give you a challenge and a barometer of health/success, but the fixed number of minutes would make sure your commitment to health wouldn't imperil your many other commitments.

Friday, 16 June, 2023  
Blogger GaP said...

Must be honest, Professor. This post made me a bit sad. Your last paragraph radiates a despondent yearning. I feel for you, my friend.

Friday, 16 June, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I hope you can get your miles in, but if you can't, there are many excellent reasons why not. And there is always next week! Don't drive (or run) yourself into an early grave by putting so much stress on yourself, PT! Hugs from the Pac NW!

Friday, 16 June, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Wow! A busy gentleman.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Saturday, 17 June, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home